topic title: Kudos.
Syndil
I just have to say, I now have antiX installed and tweaked to my satisfaction on my ancient Toshiba Portege 3110ct Portege (PII 300Mhz, 64MB) and I cannot believe how much it rocks! Once I got it to install, it was pretty much ready to go. All I have done is K out the Intel 915resolution scripts from the startup directories just to prevent the"Wrong chipset detected" message from coming up during bootup and added SELINUX_INIT=NO to grub to get rid of the"selinux not found" message. It runs just as well without these minor tweaks, but I don't like error messages on my boot screen. __{{emoticon}}__

With another distro (Vector) I had trouble with both video and wireless... no such trouble in antiX. Even after I did get the wireless working in Vector it would constantly disconnect. antiX detected my 3com wireless Xjack card right off the bat, and in a few minutes I had it configured and was streaming audio through the built in Streamtuner. No trouble with it at all. I wouldn't even dream of running such an app in Vector or even Windows for that matter, but antiX handles it like a champ. And video has never been an issue with antiX.

Anyway, I'm just very excited to have turned this old hunk-a-junk into a useable machine again. It's better than it ever has been. Thanks a bunch!
mariel77
Can you please be more specific about what you edited in the startup directories? I have the same errors on boot.
I understand how to edit grub to add the SELINUX_INIT=NO.

Also could you please tell me which 3com wireless Xjack card you have.
I have a PII Gateway Solo, and it would be great to have wireless.

Thanks!
Syndil
The wireless card is an old 3com PCMCIA 3CRWE62092B. A 3CRWE62092A should work too. It supports 802.11 a/b but not g, but that's not a problem since g is backwards compatible with b. I found mine on eBay for about $15 I think. Love the Xjack antenna. It recesses into the PCMCIA card when you're not using it so that it is flush with the laptop. Stowing the antenna also powers off the card.

To get rid of the"wrong chipset detected" error you need to rename a few files. Look in /etc/ for directories of the format rc#.d where # is the runlevel (0 through 6). In each directory are the scripts that are run when entering a particular runlevel. If you read the README file in one of these directories it will tell you how to prevent a certain script from running. The script that creates the error is S12915resolution, which will be found in the directories for runlevels 2 through 5. In order to prevent it from running (following the instructions of the readme) just rename it to K88915resolution.
mariel77
Thank you for the detailed info; I'll try it tomorrow.

Also thanks for the wireless card info! __{{emoticon}}__
Syndil
No problem.. Actually I got curious and did some searching, and it looks like there's a 3com wireless Xjack that does 802.11g as well. Not 100% sure it will work of the same driver, but it looks exactly the same as mine:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://cgi.ebay.com/3Com-Wireless-802-11g-108Mps-XJACK-PC-card_W0QQitemZ250175718744QQihZ015QQcategoryZ45000QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"
linktext was:"http://cgi.ebay.com/3Com-Wireless-802-1 ... dZViewItem"
====================================

For $21.50 I'd say it's worth a try. __{{emoticon}}__
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Thanks for the kudos and extra help about selinux not found Syndil.

Glad antiX works well for you.
Syndil
Yep antiX for me. Lovin' it. Actually I have run into one snag, however, having to do with Toshiba ACPI. Apparently this is a common error with older Toshiba laptops, and is described here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.flurble.org/computers/toshset.pl"
linktext was:"http://www.flurble.org/computers/toshset.pl"
====================================

To fix it, it says I need to do this:
Patching:
download a patch. put it in drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi in your kernel source. run
patch -p0 < [patch-file]
Updating module configuration:
look through /etc/mod* and replace"toshiba" with"toshiba_acpi" everywhere. Then run update-modules.
However I have two problems. First, where do I get the source for antiX to do this? Second, update-modules has been deprecated, so what do I do? For a newbie I've been having pretty good luck so far, but I am afraid I can't figure this one out on my own.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
The sources are the linux-headers files. There are 2.

apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

should get you:

linux-headers-2.6.22-1
linux-headers-2.6.22-1-mepis-smp

Not sure about the second part, but I think it should be modprobe.

If you can't find the answer here, post on MepisLovers too. There are lots of knowledgeable people there.