dpeirce
Kudos to Antix M8.2! I've been running Antix on Debian testing repos since last March or April, starting with Antix M-8 and going through the upgrade to 8.2. There haven't been any major problems in that length of time, and no reinstalls necessitated by use of the testing repos.

No other Debian-based distro has done that, although DreamLinux has come close (1 reinstall when a testing update busted the system; Antix went through that update fine). Not even Mepis has survived on Debian testing.

Dunno what y'all are doing right so that Antix survives on the Debian Testing repos where the others don't, but whatever it is - keep doing it! __{{emoticon}}__

I had a scare this morning: The upgrade of libc6 and its associated packages was botched and synaptic folded helplessly. Running # aptitude update and # aptitude upgrade repeatedly finally sorted things out. Synaptic is prettier, but aptitude is smarter when things are in a mess.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Thanks Dave.

I prefer apt-get to aptitude, and aptitude to synaptic. Sometimes libs in Testing create some problems, but they can usually be solved.

I still have a partition running antiX-M7.01-Lysistrata Base (released 26 December 2007) that is fully dist-upgraded to the present using the Debian unstable repos and my partner's box has antiX-M7.2 fully updated using default Testing repo.
dpeirce
I read through some of the posts on the Sidux forum about apt-get and aptitude, and now I see why you prefer apt-get. I had read that aptitude is better, but that's apparently not so. However, aptitude's terminal based GUI is nice.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas
dave@christos.cjb.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false, dpeirce@christian.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Arnold Schwarzenegger virus : Terminates and stays resident. It'll be baaack!