roland
Dear All, I recently tried an install of Killah, and this is what happened. I did it 3 times each slightly different.I have to remark that the chosen partition had Luddite 32bit AND Luddite 64bit installed and I could choose one or the other. Both worked well BUT produced warnings from boot and shutdown scripts. The Killah installs are all 64bit.
1. Install as an upgrade preserving /home contents. Produced a wierd install that would run but was missing various bits such as some screen and taskbar icons and no shutdown menu item. I could only shutdown from a terminal shell.
2. Install clean dumping the /home contents. Again worked but was short of icons and all menu icons were folder icons. Again no shutdown or logout available except via terminal. I felt that something unwanted from the previous was being included in the install.
3. Install super-clean with full partition format, again ran but had trouble losing the focus of a current window, such as when typing into leafpad. Much text went into the bin and not on the screen. Again icons corrupted and absent.
I regressed to Luddite with which I am very happy but I want to keep up and feel that Killah is a necessary step to take.
Any suggestions, comments, or analysis welcomed! I realise the original partition leaves much to be desired.
Sincerely, Roland
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Have you checked the KillahP md5sums? Could be a corrupted download.

If bits of Luddite are still left on the hard drive even after a format, then maybe the drive is dying/ bad sectors.
I had this once on and old box and the solution was to buy a new drive.
jdmeaux1952
If your BIOS allows you to, scan the HD for errors and to correct them. (I know all 4 of my computers allow this in BIOS.) A warning here; It usually does this prior to a FULL FORMAT. Once the bad sections are removed, you will still have a hard drive to install OS to but it will be smaller. (I have a 1TB WD that only allows up to 845 GB. But it still works.
roland
Thanks Anticapitalista & jdmeaux1952, I'll try both these suggestions. How do I check the sums?? The HD is an EIDE 300gb and very old but not much used as it came out of an external drive used as longterm backup. It has a few bad sectors but the antix HD routines say it's serviceable. All of my stuff is ancient, I have a policy of never paying for anthing to do with computers after being in the trade from 1967 to 1999. Sincerely, Roland