thob
I can't save it beyond the session, After each reboot it shows British I want German though. I have AntiX on HDD.

Any idea how to fix this? The computer is for a school class and they are not able to change the settings after each login.

Thanks t
PS:otherwise excellent distro. works very good with my old Dell hardware
Last edited by thob on 22 Sep 2013, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
rust collector
antixcc-system-edit config files-(password)-keyboard. Edit the second line.

Or: sudo (your prefered) editor- etc/default/keyboard, then edit the same line.

I guess you have to translate it all, to german...
thob
xKBLAYOUT="de,de_DE,us"

if I go to the config file settings it still shows British.

Do I miss anything?

Thanks T
rust collector
Did you save the changes? sorry, but I had to ask...

I would probably remove the ,us too, if you don't happen to have a us keyboard.

My line is: xKBLAYOUT="no" as I only have the"no" keyboard, on this netbook.
Dave
This may seem like a silly question but are you going by what the keyboard settings app says in the control center?

Reason being is that this:
xKBLAYOUT="de,de_DE,us"
says that you have a german layout and a us layout. However the control center keyboard settings will always display british, in that little script there is currently no detection as to what keyboard is actually in use. It will always display british as the default no matter what settings the system has. This default is hard coded in the script __{{emoticon}}__

On another note if you have used this utility it may have modified you ~/.xmodmaprc (or another startup file, I cannot recall which one at the moment) in which case you will need to edit that file.
menu --> run
type: leafpad ~/.xmodmaprc
add a: # in front of keymap line
save and close
thob
so you say it's British no matter what's set?
in the meantime I set XKBLAYOUT="de"

... the xmodmaprc is empty following your instructions ??
Dave
thob wrote:so you say it's British no matter what's set?
Uhm.... if you go:
antiX-Control-Center --> Session --> Set Keyboard Layout.
Then yes, it will show"british" as selected, even though you would have a different layout.
thob wrote: in the meantime I set XKBLAYOUT="de"
Ok that should have set the german keyboard layout as default.
thob wrote: ... the xmodmaprc is empty following your instructions ??
*Ignoring* what the control center app displays (antiX-Control-Center --> Session --> Set Keyboard Layout.).....
Does the keyboard *type* with the german layout or another?
I would give this a try by pressing the keys in terminal or leafpad and seeing if the display matches what is expected.

If it is *typing* in another layout (or does not match what you expect), I will do some more investigating, (changing the layout on mine and trying to find what file is altered whilst I cannot type __{{emoticon}}__ ) and relay the solution back to you.

Dave
BitJam
The keyboard layout is set in the file /@etc/default/keyboard:

Code: Select all

# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""

BACKSPACE="guess"
You can edit this file as root and then restart the X-server (by logging out of X and then logging in again at the slim greeter) to have you changes take effect. The default values (at least on the Live system) are stored in files under /usr/share/antiX/init-lang. The file /usr/share/antiX/init-lang/de_DE.lang sets"XKBLAYOUT="de,us".

This is effectively what happens when you select a language/region from the"F2 Lang" menu in the LiveCD/USB bootloader. The /@etc/default/keyboard file gets edited before the X-server starts. When you then do an install, this file carries over to the installed system and the settings in it get carried over too.

NOTE: remove the @ between"/" and"etc". There is a bug in the forum software that prevents anyone from posting a"/" directly before"etc".
rstudio
Hi, i have similar problem with AntiX 13.2 (386)
I have edited etc/default/keyboard file, save it, restarted PC and still I have same keyboard layout as before.

Keyboard layout changer (antiX Control Center -> Session -> Change Keyboard Layout) works fine, but sadly there is missing my locale option.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Is antiX installed to hard drive?

If so, you could use antiX Control Center -> System -> Configure system to set locales and keyboard.

Make sure you back up home first, just in case.
rstudio
I have successfully installed antiX on hard drive, with my locale selection. But keyboard layout is still English.

I try to reconfigure system with"Configure system" but It doesn't work. Locale is fine, only keyboard layout is giving me head ache.
Also in Desktop new icon appeared - icon for installing antiX on hard drive - but I fixed this with right click and"remove item(s)".

How the"antiX Control Center -> Session -> Change Keyboard Layout" option works? What it changes in background?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
For keyboard, edit etc/default/keyboard (as root) to something like this:

Code: Select all

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="de,us"
XKBVARIANT=","
XKBOPTIONS="grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,grp_led:scroll"
BACKSPACE="guess"
The Change Keyboard Layout is only valid for the desktop session and not saved on reboot.
rstudio
I figured it out, whats is the problem.
$ sudo setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout sl -option""
Error loading new keyboard description.

So I'm wondering if"sl" layout is even supported in antiX? So instead of"sl" I used"hr".
I created new / etc/default/keyboard file and set it up as you suggested (for layout I have used"hr"). And now everything works fine. __{{emoticon}}__
(I rebooted twice to make sure everything works fine.)

Oftopic:
In /home/user/.icewm/startup file are those 2 lines

# set live keyboard
# setxkbmap -layout"$XKBLAYOUT" -variant"$XKBVARIANT" -option"$XKBOPTIONS"

Why is this line in comment? Is this hack only used in live CD?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Yes, it is used for live use, though it probaly will work installed as well.

What language is sl? Slovenian?

It should work (if not, you have found a bug) __{{emoticon}}__

OK - try si rather than sl in etc/default/keyboard
rstudio
[solved] I have used si, and it works. Thnx for help anticapitalista.