topic title: Kernel headers ?
dolphin_oracle
Ninho wrote:If it's not impossible nor too disruptive, I'd like to install version 3.x of gcc and tools now,
alongside our regular antiX gcc (4.9 iirc); Can you all please provide guidance for that,
including 1. where to get the files from (they're not in our standard repos), 2. how/where (paths) to install them, and then assuming 1 and 2 succeed, how to switch the system, temporarily, from the regular compiler to the alternate, for the time of the first run of rhe player, which is whrn it compiles and installs its modules ? TIA !
I think you might have better luck on the vmware forums. or maybe the debian forums. I have no idea how to do what you want.

you might be better off with an older antix/linux system rather than trying to shoe horn the older stuff into a modern setup.
Ninho
Thank you! I am cancelling or at least putting this quest for VMware on hold...
Let alone the question of whether I'd need to be able to install and manage an older version of gcc, it appears, reading from their Forums, that even the latest grandest newest VMware
does not support our 4.9 kernel (yet; only till 4.6). I'll go with Virtual Box which does support"raw disk" access...

Which by the way leads me to start another thread about switching between antiX kernels (if you all can bear with me that far...)
dolphin_oracle
Ninho wrote:Thank you! I am cancelling or at least putting this quest for VMware on hold...
Let alone the question of whether I'd need to be able to install and manage an older version of gcc, it appears, reading from their Forums, that even the latest grandest newest VMware
does not support our 4.9 kernel (yet; only till 4.6). I'll go with Virtual Box which does support"raw disk" access...

Which by the way leads me to start another thread about switching between antiX kernels (if you all can bear with me that far...)
Personally I tend to stick with the default kernel unless there is a problem. It might be *cool* to run the latest and greatest kernel, but sometimes those leave behind certain hardware or features that I happen to be using. Or cause unforeseen problems when building device driver modules thru dkms (I'm looking at you broadcom __{{emoticon}}__ ).

But I'm a"if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy.