topic title: jwm theme how to
skidoo
Now to learn how to better modify and/or create themes in JWM or IceWM, whichever one might be easier.
murga-linux.org
Yesterday I replied and posted a link to a specific menumaker thread... yet you're mentioning it (wonderment?) again today.
Users of puppy O/S variants probably comprise the bulk of the JWM userbase. In their forum you'll find links & attachments
for themes, and for tools for editing/customizing themes, and myriad screenshots showing of themes... they are theme-HAPPY.
WaltH
skidoo wrote:
Now to learn how to better modify and/or create themes in JWM or IceWM, whichever one might be easier.
murga-linux.org
Yesterday I replied and posted a link to a specific menumaker thread... yet you're mentioning it (wonderment?) again today.
Users of puppy O/S variants probably comprise the bulk of the JWM userbase. In their forum you'll find links & attachments
for themes, and for tools for editing/customizing themes, and myriad screenshots showing of themes... they are theme-HAPPY.
I posted elsewhere regarding this. The JWM theme maker appears to require xdialog, which in turn appears to need to be compiled (unless I am missing or not understanding something), and I am not that comfortable with compiling apps. I also asked in that post whether anyone had already used this theme maker in antiX. (Since I just installed antiX-15 to replace a troublesome Manjaro install, I'm not sure I'm ready to be a guinea pig.)

I've looked at the various themes on the Puppy page (22 pages of them, in fact), but there is something about most of them I would change if I knew more about doing so. I also think seeing themes modified and/or created by someone who knows more about what they are doing than I would be of benefit to others besides me. I learned several things from watching some of Dolphin Oracle's videos than I would have had more trouble figuring out simply by reading a web page description. But maybe I should just shut up and go back to IceWM.
skidoo
walt, start with whichever theme suits your fancy.
For example:
geany /usr/share/fluxbox/jwm-antiX/.fluxbox/jwm-antiX/.jwm/themes/blue_dragon
saveAs blue_dragon2

Code: Select all

<JWM>
<!-- Visual Styles -->
<!-- evil blue glow -->

<WindowStyle>
<Font antialias="false">smoothansi</Font>
<Width>4</Width>
<Height>20</Height>
<Active>
<Text>snow</Text>
<Title>blue:light blue</Title>
<Outline>snow</Outline>
</Active>
<Inactive>
<Text>black</Text>
<Title>dark blue:light blue</Title>
<Outline>light blue</Outline>
</Inactive>
</WindowStyle>

<TaskListStyle>
<ActiveForeground>black</ActiveForeground>
<ActiveBackground>darkblue:snow</ActiveBackground>
<Foreground>snow</Foreground>
<Background>light blue:blue</Background>
</TaskListStyle>

<!-- Additional TrayStyle attribute: insert -->

<TrayStyle>
<Background>blue</Background>
<Foreground>dark blue</Foreground>
</TrayStyle>

<PagerStyle>
<Outline>grey66</Outline>
<Foreground>grey44</Foreground>
<Background>snow</Background>
<ActiveForeground>darkblue</ActiveForeground>
<ActiveBackground>light blue</ActiveBackground>
</PagerStyle>

<MenuStyle>
<Background>grey0</Background>
<ActiveBackground>blue:white</ActiveBackground>
</MenuStyle>

<PopupStyle>
</PopupStyle>

</JWM>
Next, open another other theme file in geany.
Look at A. Look at B. How do they differ?
Is it ___REALLY___ so difficult to customize a themefile? I think not."Ain't nothing to it but ta do it."
Select your customized theme, examine the result of your edits. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Might need to restart session for the change to take effect.
WaltH
skidoo wrote:walt, start with whichever theme suits your fancy.
For example:
geany /usr/share/fluxbox/jwm-antiX/.fluxbox/jwm-antiX/.jwm/themes/blue_dragon
saveAs blue_dragon2

Code: Select all

<JWM>
<!-- Visual Styles -->
<!-- evil blue glow -->

<WindowStyle>
<Width>4</Width>
<Height>20</Height>
<Active>
<Text>snow</Text>
<Title>blue:light blue</Title>
<Outline>snow</Outline>
</Active>
<Inactive>
<Text>black</Text>
<Title>dark blue:light blue</Title>
</Inactive>
</WindowStyle>

<TaskListStyle>
<ActiveBackground>darkblue:snow</ActiveBackground>
<Background>light blue:blue</Background>
</TaskListStyle>

<!-- Additional TrayStyle attribute: insert -->

<TrayStyle>
<Foreground>dark blue</Foreground>
</TrayStyle>

<PagerStyle>
<Outline>grey66</Outline>
<Foreground>grey44</Foreground>
<Background>snow</Background>
<ActiveForeground>darkblue</ActiveForeground>
<ActiveBackground>light blue</ActiveBackground>
</PagerStyle>

<MenuStyle>
<Background>grey0</Background>
<ActiveBackground>blue:white</ActiveBackground>
</MenuStyle>

<PopupStyle>
</PopupStyle>

</JWM>
Next, open another other theme file in geany.
Look at A. Look at B. How do they differ?
Is it ___REALLY___ so difficult to customize a themefile? I think not."Ain't nothing to it but ta do it."
Select your customized theme, examine the result of your edits. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Might need to restart session for the change to take effect.
Well, apparently it is really so difficult, at least it has been for me. I tried this with the black theme, going into my home directory (apparently where the JWM themes reside as I could not find any elsewhere - the directory you list was not apparent to me, nor was it clear from anything I read), went into ~ .jwm/themes/black and saved it as black2, changed the font everywhere I saw a font to change, restarted JWM, and noticed no difference, no matter what font name I put in there.

So, to ask yet another likely stupid question, do I have to update the theme in both the directory you list above AND in my home directory, or will updating the first location update the second? I don't mean to be a pain, but I really want to understand this better. Thanks.

EDIT: Just tried this again, going to the directory you list, modifying the file there and also modifying the file in my home /.jwm/themes directory so they match each other, and I can see no difference. Not sure what I've missed or what I'm missing, but nothing I do changes the theme short of changing to a different theme.
skidoo
Walt, just now I tested/verified:
Chose JWM"green" theme, applied it by clicking Themes--}Restart, then opened and edited /home/demo/.jwm/theme
(the currently selected theme gets copied to this file?)
Upon saving changes to /home/demo/.jwm/theme and clicking Themes--}Restart, my edited colors were immediately apparent.

(I didn't make a backup copy beforehand. Shhh! don't tell rok)
WaltH
skidoo wrote:Walt, just now I tested/verified:
Chose JWM"green" theme, applied it by clicking Themes--}Restart, then opened and edited /home/demo/.jwm/theme
(the currently selected theme gets copied to this file?)
Upon saving changes to /home/demo/.jwm/theme and clicking Themes--}Restart, my edited colors were immediately apparent.

(I didn't make a backup copy beforehand. Shhh! don't tell rok)
Okay, so in my case, I edit /home/walt/.jwm/theme instead of /home/walt/.jwm/themes/green? Although I'm sure that must be specified somewhere, I never saw it and was editing the theme"source" file rather than the placeholder file. Okay, off to give it one more try. (On the other hand, I think I successfully modified an IceWM theme, so there is progress. __{{emoticon}}__ ) Thanks.
skidoo
so in my case, I edit /home/walt/.jwm/theme
instead of
/home/walt/.jwm/themes/green?
Take this with a grain of salt. I'm shooting from the hip.
Seems like each time you change jwm theme selection, its themefile gets copied to ~/.jwm/theme
so I would select a theme closest to what I'm hoping to achieve, colorwise,
then repeatedly/progressively edit ~/.jwm/theme and repeatedly"restart" to verify the result of the edits.
Once you're satisfied with the result, copy ~/.jwm/theme (or, more like SaveAs. The file being edited can remain open in text editor throughout)
SaveAs ~/.jwm/themes/_my_happyjoy_newname
so that it won't be accidentally overwritten later if you select a different theme.