lfever
In viewing this video:

^---- embedded YouTube-hosted video: https://www.youtube.com/L4pnACi6QBA

I entered wicd-client -t in the desktop-session startup file per the video.
Upon rebooting I expected to see the lan connection along with volumeicon and search-bar-icon in the system tray but was disappointed as the only thing that was displayed was the clock.

I removed wicd-client -t and upon rebooting still the only thing displayed is the clock __{{emoticon}}__

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
volumeicon &

fbxkb &

search-bar-icon &

(sleep 5 && toram-eject) &
I can run volumeicon, wicd-cliet -t, etc and they will display in the system tray but will not display from the desktop-session startup file.
How can I get the contents of the desktop-session startup file to work again __{{emoticon}}__

Thanks
Last edited by lfever on 05 Oct 2015, 23:29, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
could you display what files are in ~ / . desktop-session, also check the log file within that folder and / or post it here. It might also be worth posting the desktop-session.conf file.

My first two thoughts are that the desktop-session.conf was changed to not run the startup, or you have a blank user startup file.
lfever
Hi Dave and thanks for your reply.
The ~/.desktop-session contents are:
default-desktop
desktop-code.0
finished-first-run
log
log.old
ppid.0
startup
wallpaper.conf

log:

desktop-session.conf:

Not sure how the desktop-session.conf would have gotten changed but who knows __{{emoticon}}__
Dave
The log says what it is trying to do and what the problem is. You can see this using the following line from the log.

Code: Select all

/usr/local/lib/desktop-session/lib-desktop-session.sh: line 76: /home/w3ie/.desktop-session/startup: Permission denied
However there may be a seccond problem as well (the user startup file could be empty)

First you will need to set the execute permission on the ~/.desktop-session/startup file.
Seccond you will need to see if the ~/.desktop-session/startup file has everything that you would like started in it.

Or if you do not need a user specific startup file (startup is the same for all users) then run
rm ~/.desktop-session/startup
as your regular user. That way it will go back to using the global configuration (/ etc/desktop-session/startup)
lfever
Thanks Dave for your help __{{emoticon}}__

I'm not sure how the permissions of the ~/.desktop-session/startup got changed __{{emoticon}}__ but since the file was empty and I am the only user on this laptop I just renamed it and let the system fall back to the Global desktop-session/startup file and all is well __{{emoticon}}__

Thanks again,
Mike
Dave
Likely it was there from opening the user desktop session button in the control center and pressed the save all button. Therefor you saved a blank new file as the startup file is not there but default.