eriefisher
With this one I am using idesk with pypanel. Idesk makes it pretty easy to use desktop icons. You can also change there behavier ie:tranparency and such. You can also set the color and transparency of pypanel as well as move launcher and tray positions.

Here I have it set up so if I left click on the clock Osmo will open and I have also placed an icon(red X) on the left set up to shut down the box. These app make things so configurable.

I think this is a better option than Rox-Desktop(opinion). It allows you to use conky with it. Let me know what you think.

eriefisher
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Very nice setup. What version of antiX is that? Is it the base version?

How 'reliable' is idesk?
I ask as in the past it was easy to set up and use, but after subsequent boots/reboots the desktop got all messed up and I had several lock ups.

Personally, I prefer to have no desktop (except a workspace set up using rox from the fluxbox menu), but new users might prefer some sort of desktop. The new antiX-preview1, though it defaults to a rox-desktop, it can easily be removed by editing the .fluxbox/startup file. Conky can be re-enabled by adding a line to .fluxbox/apps and idesk is installed but not set up.
Ahh so many choices all in 325MB!!!!
eriefisher
This is the latest base.It's been through a couple of reboots now and no problems yet. I found out that idesk will also control the background/wallpaper. I think this may be where the problem lies. It might be fighting with fluxbox for control so I disabled it in .ideskrc. Pypanel is nice and highly configurable. and using the date/clock as a launcher for Osmo is great.

Myself, I'm like you and don't use desktop icons and stuff but I have seen some questions about it. I think OU812 was asking for rox-desktop by default. This might be a better alternative.

eriefisher
anticapitalista
Site Admin
We'll see what the feedback is as far as having rox as a default desktop in preview1.
I'll then decide whether to keep it, or have it configured, but not enabled in the fluxbox/startup file.
Care to send me the idesk configuration? I could also have it set up and configured, but not necessarily enabled by default.
Thatway the user gets to choose between a configured rox-desktop, a configured idesk desktop plus conky or no desktop.

And maybe, give this as an option at the login screen (if I can work out how to do so)
eriefisher
I will see if I can zip it up and send it all of to you.

eriefisher