plvera
Hi macondo:
I can't seem to open your link. Just get this:

photocache404.flickr.ac4 : 404

thanks

Pedro
macondo
Hola Pedro, i just clicked on it and it opened right away __{{emoticon}}__
Sorry about the delay answering you, been busy...
plvera
thanks Macondo. Finally was able to open the link, don't really know what was wrong before.

It looks interesting. I'll try fooling around with stumpwm in my test box to see how far I get.

Pedro
plvera
Macondo:
I downloaded and installed stumpwm using synaptic and was unable to get it to work. From your signature, I see that you prefer awesome. Is that friendlier to get up and running? Do you use SLIM to pick a WM?

thanks
Pedro
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I'm sure macondo can answer your question regarding awesome, stumpwm (or his old favourite ratpoison).

Awesome is easy to use from the default, though it needs some configuration to get it working as you want.
macondo
macondo
plvera wrote:Macondo:
I downloaded and installed stumpwm using synaptic and was unable to get it to work.
Stumpwm is made by the author of Ratpoison, i don't like it myself because it's coded in Lua, while ratpoison is coded in C. OTOH, ion3 is coded in Lua too, but i use it, go figure it. I also go back to icewm when everything else goes south, it never fails.
From your signature, I see that you prefer awesome. Is that friendlier to get up and running? Do you use SLIM to pick a WM?
It's pretty easy, read the man and this
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36453"
linktext was:"thread"
====================================
, in it i put my configuration (i use the nick Lou in that forum).
I need slim like another hole in the head, startx works for me ok, i try to KISS everything in Linux. My wm is chosen at my .xinitrc, example:

#!/bin/sh

xsetroot -solid black -cursor_name left_ptr
xrdb -merge .Xdefaults
unclutter -idle 2 &
numlockx &
ivman &
#icewm
ion3

I can't enter the X system with awesome right now thus, i'm using ion3, sid is a bitch sometimes, been thinking of reinstalling and going Lenny all the way, forget about wasting time and use backports, life is too fucking short.
plvera
Macondo,
thanks for the info. awesome is working for me, but configuring seems difficult. I am also playing with xnomad which seems easier to configure (if nothing else there's a whole bunch of config files that I can just copy and use). I'm not sure which one is better.

I share your feeling that life is too short. I kind of regret having sid converted my main laptop (which I use for work related stuff). In retrospect, it was much less of a headache at stable, and I can use my desktop or an old laptop if I want to fool around with unstable. If I want the computer to actually DO something reliable, I think stable is the way to go.

Anyway, I'll keep fooling around with these tiling window managers and see how far I get.

Regards,
Pedro