topic title: Intrusive ads
malanrich
Now I'm getting bugged. I didn't mind the Google ads promoting revenue for the owners of the forum website. But now they are inserting promotions in the actual texts of our postings.

I don't want someone else underlining words in my text. And when someone else underlines their text, I assume they are linking to other important posts or sites. To find that it's a promotion for some completely unrelated product is irritating, it wastes my time, and it seems unethical (to tamper with someone else's language/graphics in that way).

Unlike the Google ads, these don't"turn off" with Greasemonkey.

Tell me I'm being over-sensitive and I'll live with it, but I *really* don't like it (asterisks mine, not someone else's...).
n2j3
malanrich wrote: Unlike the Google ads, these don't"turn off" with Greasemonkey.
They're off (for me at least) with
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865"
linktext was:"AdBlockPlus"
====================================
for Firefox/Iceweasel/etc. But I agree, it's really imposing, forcing ads and all.
julian67
Using Epiphany with built in ad blocker enabled I see no ads of any kind. I did turn off the ad blocker out of curiosity...yuk! But I think it's up to each user to block ads to the extent they like, there's no way to browse these days without visiting pages designed to load ads and pop ups. Epiphany does a brilliant job, pages look clean and ad-free and perfectly normal. Using other people's computers always reminds me of the incredible volume of unrequested content most people suffer.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You should see 'only' the google ones now.
I have disabled the in text ads, now I know where to remove them.
malanrich
Thanks for the responses, guys. And especially anti for taking quick action.

I try not to have unrealistic expectations. And I don't mind reasonable sacrifices in exchange for free access to a forum like this.

I only think that, in general, the best policing of the internet will be done by users who carefully draw lines between what is acceptable and what is not. Everyone will have different ideas on acceptability. I just decided that one sacrosanct principle should be respect for someone else's space. What this means is that you don't tamper with someone else's text...or in general invade a place that"belongs" to someone else.

It may be an ineffective policy ultimately, but I had to start somewhere...
moron
malanrich wrote:I just decided that one sacrosanct principle should be respect for someone else's space. What this means is that you don't tamper with someone else's text...or in general invade a place that"belongs" to someone else.
Agreed.
Sakasa
Malanrich wrote:the best policing of the internet will be done by users who carefully draw lines between what is acceptable and what is not.

I totally agreed with you.. Acceptance to impositions is what have make this world to be what it is. Nothing against anyone here at this forum. This is a great place and we have great open minded people, caring persons like Anticapitalista and all of you, makes this place or site a real fun place for everyone areal site.

Bets Regards,