eliantokaos

01 Mar 2008, 15:56 #1

Hi to everybody.

I'm quite a newbie, so, please forgive my questions if they are stupid. I've been looking around and googling, but I haven't found anything useful to solve my problem.

I have an old laptop Toshiba 2140 CDS: K6-2, 450 Mhz, HD 4 Giga.

The only distro I was able to install and have it working"Out of the box" was the MepisLite 3.3.1, and it worked fine (some problems in the screen) but it was too heavy for the machine.

I installed antix 6.5 Spartacus just now, but i cannot have the network working. I have a Conceptronic CSP 100 tcl LAN card (which I think is not recognized: no green light showing it is working).

Can someone give me a tip? Thank you in advance

__{{emoticon}}__
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hello and welcome to antiX.

You probably need to install a driver for the card.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://list.driverguide.com/list/LINUX/company1461/index.html"
linktext was:"http://list.driverguide.com/list/LINUX/ ... index.html"
====================================

and then set it up with ndiswrapper

url was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Using_Ndiswrapper"
linktext was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/ ... diswrapper"

Good luck
eliantokaos
Thanks for the suggestion...

Now the problem is another. I have the driver, burned it onto a CD and... how can I copy it in the hard drive?

Sorry for asking silly questions, but I moved to Linux just now __{{emoticon}}__ and in Flubox I cannot find a"File manager" (I had something similar in MepisLite, but this Flubox is still a mistery... I've been messing around all the afternoon and... found nothing).

Helpis really aprreciated

Thanks a lot
malanrich
I don't do networking at all...but just to get you started on the antiX file system:

Right click anywhere in the desktop and you'll get the fluxbox menu. Click on"files" and the Rox file manager will give you your user directory in your Home directory. Click on the files to move downward into subdirectories. Click on the up-arrow on the toolbar to move up into higher directories.

If you click on the up-arrow twice, you'll get into your topmost directory where you'll find the Media directory. Click on that and you'll find your cd-rom drive already mounted (if the cd-rom is in the drive).

To drag a file from the cd-rom to another directory, go back to the fluxbox menu and click files again to open another instance of the Rox file manager. When you find the directory you want to drag the cd-rom file into, you can simply drag from one window into another.

If you have problems performing tasks in the Rox file manager, sometimes you have to do so as"root." So in the fluxbox menu click on"terminal." When the terminal window opens with your user prompt, type"sux" (without quotes). The terminal will then ask for your password. When you type that, you'll be given your root prompt. Type"rox" (without quotes). This will open the Rox file manager and will allow you to do things you might not be able to do as normal user (like unmounting your cd-rom drive).

Maybe there are easier ways of doing what you want, but this is how I (as a pretty new user) get stuff done.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
From the fluxbox menu, left click on Files.
This opens a filer. (called rox-filer).
Do this again to open a second filer.
Put in your cd wait a few seconds and then in rox-filer navigate by using the green up arrow to a media folder.
In this folder you should find some cd devices, one of which should be yours.
Once you have found it, then drag and drop the files from your cd folder to the home folder in the second opened rox-filer.

After that you'll need to configure ndiswrapper as explained in the link earlier.

Hope this helps and others will join in to give more help.
eliantokaos
malanrich wrote: Maybe there are easier ways of doing what you want, but this is how I (as a pretty new user) get stuff done.
Thank you a lot! I'll have to get used to the new names/terminology used here. I'll keep you informed. __{{emoticon}}__
eliantokaos
anticapitalista wrote: After that you'll need to configure ndiswrapper as explained in the link earlier.

I appreciate it, Antik. I'm going to"ndiswrap" this and see. Hope it works!
Again, thanks.
eliantokaos
anticapitalista wrote:From the fluxbox menu, left click on Files.
This opens a filer. (called rox-filer).
Do this again to open a second filer.
Put in your cd wait a few seconds and then in rox-filer navigate by using the green up arrow to a media folder.
In this folder you should find some cd devices, one of which should be yours.
Once you have found it, then drag and drop the files from your cd folder to the home folder in the second opened rox-filer.

After that you'll need to configure ndiswrapper as explained in the link earlier.

Well, I did everything (I hope without mistakes), but it doesn't seem to work...
1) Copied the files of a WindowsXP driver (this time I tried with XP driver) for this card (which is not a wireless, just a PCMCIA card) in a folder on my /Desktop directory

2) opened the Terminal

3) su

4) made ndiswrapper following the path (I suppose this is the way): ndiswrapper -i /desktop/driverLanCardWin98/fethcb.inf

the answer I get is "driver fethcb is already installed"

5) tried, anyway, to make the ndiswrapper -l and in the list I get:

fethcb : invalid driver!

Any suggestion? (please.... __{{emoticon}}__ )

Again, thank you all.
Last edited by eliantokaos on 02 Mar 2008, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
OU812
do

ndiswrapper -r fetchb

This should"release" the previously installed driver. Before you try ndiswrapper -i /path/driver.inf again, you may need another file: driver.sys. Once you have both drivers then try again. Also, it may be better to create a folder in your home directory - maybe"Wireless" - and copy your drivers there.

john
eliantokaos
OU812 wrote:do

ndiswrapper -r fetchb

This should"release" the previously installed driver. Before you try ndiswrapper -i /path/driver.inf again, you may need another file: driver.sys. Once you have both drivers then try again. Also, it may be better to create a folder in your home directory - maybe"Wireless" - and copy your drivers there.

john
Thanks very much __{{emoticon}}__

In the folder where I have the fethcb.inf I also have the fethcb.sys
What do I have to do with it? Also <ndiswrapper fethcb.sys>???

So, if I've understood, what I have to do is the following:

1) open the Terminal

2) su

3) made ndiswrapper -r fethcb.inf

4) the, again, ndiswrapper following the path:
ndiswrapper -i /LanCardXP/fethcb.inf (this time I used the driver for XP)

(in the folder <LanCardXP> there are three files: fethcb.sys; fethcb.cat and fethcb.inf)

I did everything but again, when I do ndiswrapper -l, I get: fethcb : driver invalid!

I really don't know what to do.
This card has not any linux driver (apart two drivers for RedHat 6.2 and 7.0). I tried to ndiswrapper also these drivers... but it obviously doesn't work.

Clarification: this is not a wireless card, but a normal network pcmcia card

Help??? __{{emoticon}}__
eliantokaos
I finally managed to install the driver for the Conceptronic network card with ndiswrapper.

How? I made ndiswrapper directly from the CD (I do not know why it worked from the CD and it didn't work when ndiswrapping after having copied the drivers to a folder in the hard disk.... __{{emoticon}}__ )

Now, after ndiswrappier -l, the driver appears installed, but the card has no green light telling"I'm working"...

Someone can help me?

Thanks
eriefisher

02 Mar 2008, 20:18 #12

Your green light may or may not work. In the terminal as root try:

ndiswrapper -m

This will load the module. After that use mepis network tools to try and set it up. If it loaded, the card should show up under the tools. You may also need to add ndiswrapper to /etc/modules so it will load on boot.

eriefisher
eliantokaos
eriefisher wrote:Your green light may or may not work. In the terminal as root try:

ndiswrapper -m

This will load the module. After that use mepis network tools to try and set it up. If it loaded, the card should show up under the tools. You may also need to add ndiswrapper to /etc/modules so it will load on boot.

eriefisher

I tried what you said (ndiswrapper -m) but nothing changed.

About adding ndiswrapper to the /etc/modules I do not know exactly what you mean (I'm a total newbie...). Anyway, I went with the file manager to /etc/modules and ndiswrapper is in the list and in it there is the driver installed.

I forgot to say that when i do ndiswrapper -l, i can see fethcb : driver installed but there is not"hardware present" (as it is explaind in the
url was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Using_Ndiswrapper"
linktext was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/ ... diswrapper"
).

I've got stuck and I really do not know what to do...

Any suggestion?

PD: (the green light does work if I boot with a Live Cd like Slax... but I want to install AntiX...)
eriefisher
Does the card show up under the mepis network tool(wlan0 or ath0)? If so you still need to set it up with your info, especially ssid.

eriefisher
eliantokaos
Not. I does not show under the network tools. This means that for the system the card does not exist, isn't it?

I'm really lost.

Every help is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.