eugen-b
Hello!
I activated Jessie backports repository and see now linux-headers-4.1.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae and related packages available.
I would like to install the new kernel. It is said that btrfs works better with newer kernels. I will do a snapshot before in case something goes wrong.

Is it viable to install this kernel in MX-14?
Can I do it simply by installing kernel related packages?
linux-headers-4.1.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae
linux-headers-4.1.0-0.bpo.1-common
linux-kbuild-4.1
linux-image-4.1.0-0.bpo.1-686-pae

Can I simply install them with synaptic? What do I need to do afterwards to make the system boot with new kernel?

I don't need linux-source-4.1, do I?

I have linux-headers-3.14-0.bpo.2-686-pae installed with related packages.

Thanks!
Jerry
We have a procedure in the MX Linux Users Manual about upgrading the kernel in MX Linux (antiX MX):

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepiscommunity.org/user_manual_mx15/mxum.html#toc-Subsection-7.6"
linktext was:"http://www.mepiscommunity.org/user_manu ... ection-7.6"
====================================

That document answers a lot of questions!
eugen-b
Thanks for the link, Jerry! I didn't come that far in the manual. __{{emoticon}}__
I'll make not only a snapshot but a backup, too. And I'll wait some days to think about it, too. __{{emoticon}}__
Jerry
I didn't come that far in the manual.
Understood--but don't forget about the power of Ctrl-F!
eugen-b
Jerry wrote:
I didn't come that far in the manual.
Understood--but don't forget about the power of Ctrl-F!
I have four MX and Debian related manuals and wikis on my browser's quickdial. I also have a Debian e-book of 800 pages which I've read 130 of. But asking things on the forum is sometimes a good idea as well. That's a way to get in contact with other users.

On Debian wiki I only found info about compiling kernels. That couldn't be that you cannot simply install a kerne, I thougt. MX coming from MEPIS has a philosophy of being more user-friendly than Debian, which it just has proven with the manual.

My questions were not far away from thuth anyway. I simply didn't install a kernel with Synaptic yet, only with a dedicated utility which gave some feedback that it was installing linux- and headers- packages but it was too fast to read it.
Jerry
But asking things on the forum is sometimes a good idea as well. That's a way to get in contact with other users.
True, true.
eugen-b
Well, I installed kernel 4.1-6.dmz.1-liquorix-686-pae, used the handy Grub Customizer to make the system boot with the new kernel by default (otherwise it used the other kernel).
At first I wanted to install the vanilla kernel but it required to uninstall many drivers packages, I guess beacause it is a Debian kernel. So I took the Liquorix kernel because it didn't have these conflicts.
eugen-b
I've just found out that /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler contains the option bfq.
I don't know if it was there before I changed the kernel. I think not, because I changed the scheduler to deadline.
Before I change it to bfq I would like to ask if there are any antiX, MEPIS, MX specific issues with BFQ I/O scheduler. Are there? __{{emoticon}}__