nats007
Good morning all,

I have an Asus Eee 1005HA running antiX 8.5-full w/ KDE 4.4 in which I just installed a Crucial 2GB DDR 6400 stick to replace the stock 1GB module. Turns out, that after installation it only shows 1GB available. Did a little research and I booted into the BIOS, confirmed 2048MB was installed, saved and rebooted back into antiX. It still showed 1GB available.

Rebooted into the Windows XP partition and it shows that 1.99GB installed. Rebooted into antiX and it still shows 1GB. I started to debug via the terminal.

Typed free -m
Mem: total shows 882, used 804, free 78
-/+ buffers/cache: used 242, free 640

Typed free
total shows 903904, used 826040, free 77864
-/+ buffers/cache: used 249940, free 653964

I installed lshw per (
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/questions/294/Debian+isn%27t+showing+all+my+ram"
linktext was:"http://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/que ... all+my+ram"
====================================
!) and it does show the fullsize = 2GB. Any help getting antiX to use the full 2 gigs would be greatly appreciated!

ATM, conky is telling me that 28% of my RAM is being used (250mb) which tells me that the OS is using only 1GB...
rokytnji
Man, everything I am reading says use Big Memory Kernel.

Thing is. On my Asus 900. I run the stock 2.6.32-1 mepis smp kernel. I do regular apt-get dist-upgrades on it though. Sees my 2 gig of ram just fine in Conky and inxi.

If you have the room on partition nats007. Now might be the time to try Liqourix kernel 2.6.35 or one of Stevos kernels like I did on my 701SD.(did this to to get wireless module going). Up to you though. What is funny is I run a newer kernel on my 1gig EEEpc 701 than I do on my 2gig EEEpc 900.
nats007
Thanks for the info, Roky!

I've seen references to the Big memory kernel as well. I have a stock Mepis 8.5 that sees the 3 gigs I have installed on my desktop, so I know that antiX should be able to see it as well. The only thing is, this is the first time that I've upgraded the RAM without haveing to do a re-install. I did find the culprit, and I'm trying to debug it now.

In konsole, as a regular user when I type"lshw -C memory" I get:
bennett@antiXeee:~$ lshw -C memory
WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
*-memory
description: System memory
physical id: 0
size: 1023MiB
Then, I logged in as su and typed"lshw -C memory" I get:
*-memory
description: System Memory
physical id: 18
slot: System board or motherboard
size: 2GiB
*-bank
description: DIMM SDRAM Synchronous
product: PartNum0
vendor: Manufacturer0
physical id: 0
serial: SerNum0
slot: DIMM0
size: 2GiB
width: 64 bits
I'm getting the regular user value which is only showing 1023MB instead of showing the full 2GB installed. Running a memtest now, then I'll try to disable boot booster and quiet boot in the BIOS in hopes of getting it to sync.
nats007
UPDATE: Finally got it to recognize the full 2 gigs of RAM. I ended up having to install the liquorix kernel and now it shows the full 2 gigs.

Method for the kernel installation used:

To install the liquorix kernel in antiX (as root):

1. Enable the liquorix kernels repo in sources.list
2. Save sources.list
3. run apt-get update
4. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to drop out of X
5. Login in as root and run smxi
6. I rebooted, but the kernel was not available. I conitued with the default mepis kernel in antiX.
7. Repeat steps 4 - 6. This run installed the required linux headers and upon reboot I was able to select the liquorix kernel.

All is well now and I can see the full 2 gigs.