miks
Hi Bitjam, the kde4 test wasnt that much of a failure:
miks wrote: Next I installed kde 4 full to the usb after commenting out the lenny entry in sources.list. After this, the keyboard has gone haywire even in tty1 so I cannot use the usb to install any more. I tried the en_GB cheat code but that did not help. Is there a config file on the usb drive somewhere that I can edit to get the keyboard back to normal?
So, I can boot the usb drive ok into kde4 and it seems to be working ok except for the keyboard problem which leaves me with a lot of characters from a-z missing. So basically, I cant type the root password or use the terminal to initiate minstall. If I could get the keymap set back to en_GB, I would love to try using the usb to install to hd and see if kde persists into the new installation. If I could find the right file to edit, I could plug the usb into my squeeze install and edit it from there.
secipolla
miks, you can have a look at your /etc/default/console-setup.
Here's mine (br-abnt2, but the abnt2 isn't present because it's not on xorg's list anymore)

Code: Select all

ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"
CHARMAP="UTF-8"
CODESET="Lat15"
FONTFACE="VGA"
FONTSIZE="16"
XKBMODEL=""
XKBLAYOUT="br,us"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,grp_led:scroll"
and here's anticapitalista's (greek/us)

ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"
CHARMAP="UTF-8"
CODESET="Lat15"
FONTFACE=""
FONTSIZE=""
XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us,el"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS="grp:alt_shift_toggle,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,grp_led:scroll"
so you may do the same with yours putting the proper XKBLAYOUT and XKBMODEL as you usually did in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and maybe trying to leave the model line empty like in my example.
miks
Thanks guys. I found a work around for the keyboard issue. holding down Fn brought back the missing characters so I was able to install from the usb drive to the hard drive. This went very smoothly and took only about 10 mins.

I am now posting from that hdd install on my vaio, and using kde4. Icewm and lxde also are fine with no missing menu items. So far it all seems like a perfectly normal installation except for one minor glitch. Although the laptop keyboard works fine in tty1, at the kdm or slim screen, there is no touchpad and no keyboard. I rebooted with a usb mouse and keyboard plugged in and they wrk normally, so I am wondering if the laptop keyboard is a driver issue? Anyway, once I was logged into kde4 using the usb keyboard/mouse, I tried the laptop keyboard/touchpad and the touchpad works but the keyboard has reverted to the bad keymap that I had on the usb drive install. The Fn key workaround works too!

So altogether, this is looking pretty good. If the laptop keyboard issue could be sorted, I would have a perfectly good hdd install, as far as I can tell so far. __{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
Ok, Let me get my thoughts sorted here. Asus EEE 900 is what I did this on. (except for the Wiindows part) __{{emoticon}}__

Made the latest Antix 8.5 Live USB on 2 gig Kingston Data traveler formatted as Fat32 first and then installed Live Iso using my Linux unetbootin. Antix Iso from this thread below. I did not use the base but used the other.
antix-m8-5-public-test-releases-t2099.html

First try was a disaster because of U3 software on 4 gig sandisk cruzer i was going to use. I had to use my Wifes Windows machine to download U3 Uninstaller.exe and run it. U3 software is write protected on the durn stick. Couldn't change write permissions using Linux either. Hence I had to use Windows. The problem with leaving U3 software on Sandisk Cruzer (even though I formatted it as EXT2 file system using Gparted) was that the To Usb in Control panel would open fine. But as soon as install was initiated the install process would crash.

Ok, Now I have a clean USB formatted as Ext2 and I download AntiX 8.5 Again to my Live Kingston USB again (lost it during reboot).

I use the Control panel Again.Select Drives. select To Usb. This time No Crash __{{emoticon}}__ . The install process goes flawlessly Lagopus. It finishes Sucessfully. I reboot with the Kigston Drive pulled and boot off the sandisk cruzer. Everything looks good Lagopus. Thought you'd like to know.

Now to figure out how to use this USB Stick. Virgin Territory for me. __{{emoticon}}__
lagopus
Thank you rokytnji for the feedback
Worked on a rewrite of the gui, in python+gtk (got exasperated with gtkdialog!)
During processing:

gunzip antix2usb-gui.py.gz
Install the file antix2usb-gui.py in /usr/local/bin
Start it with the command; gksu antix2usb-gui.py
should work from the menu

TODO:
=> add help file
=> feedback from the shell script to close the dialog when installation is completed
=> localisation of strings

I have to gather together your suggestions, and to correct the antix2usb.sh script, following BitJam's advices.
secipolla
Hi lagopus, two things:

I had to install python-gtk2 for it to work.

I translated this new gui but it doesn't work with non-ascii characters. I removed all tildes, accents and cedillas and it worked. I receive two different error messages when launching with gksudo as a normal user or launching directly as root:
gksudo

sergio@mepis1:~$ gksudo antix2usb-gui.py 

(gksudo:5697): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion `str != NULL' failed
sergio@mepis1:~$ 
launching as root

sergio@mepis1:~$ su
Senha:
root@mepis1:/home/sergio# antix2usb-gui.py 
  File"/usr/local/bin/antix2usb-gui.py", line 29
SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\xc3' in file /usr/local/bin/antix2usb-gui.py on line 29, but no encoding declared; see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details
root@mepis1:/home/sergio#
Both ways work fine when the ascii characters have been removed from the file.
lagopus
secipolla,
I had to install python-gtk2 for it to work.
You are using Mepis?
it doesn't work with non-ascii characters
Sorry, you have to add this as second line of the script:
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
secipolla
I'm using antiX-sid installed from 8.2, maybe the latest has python then or maybe I have uninstalled it some time ago.

Thank you for the tip, now the accented words appear fine.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
antiX-base doesn't have python-gtk2.
dark-D
some stuff i noticed and posted in antix 8.5 beta 2:
- the name of the windows for antix2usb is : testView Widget Basic Example
- when i first made a liveusb with antix2usb the partition was to small and it gave an error but only in the show details sections not as a pop-up.
- when i booted the liveusb was that the home uuid for the persistent partition didn't get used because it was already used by another persistent options i guess the root one. a conflict error is given but as far as i saw it works.

the rest of the script is just great. thanks
anticapitalista
Site Admin
* name - fixed.
* noted.
* the antiX2usb gui only allows for 2 partitions (to keep things simple). One is the antiXlive side and the other is antiXData. This data partition can be persistent root (rootfs) or persistent home (homefs), or neither, but not persistent root and persistent home. antiX has been set up (thanks to BitJam) to check id rootfs and homefs are different, and if not, rootfs will override homefs.

One other comment regarding the script is to do with the size of the window being too small.

Apart from that, this little gui is a wonderful addition to antiX.

BTW, antiX also includes BitJam's antix2persist-usb script. This is more complex than the gui and lagopus's antix2usb script. BitJam's script has lots of options for installing multiple iso's to a usb device, each with its own persistent home and root. So as an example you can have antiX and MEPIS running live on the stick, and savings will be saved for both.