topic title: Install issues
fixitman
Hi. I'm having a bit of a problem.
I have an older Sony Vaio laptop with only 128 MB ram. I have tried several small linux distros but for various reasons I have settled on antix. I am running 8.2.

I can boot from the live cd and I get beautiful full screen 1024x768 graphics. However, I cannot run the installer. It starts to run, I get partitions set up and then it just quits with no error message. All other functionality I've tried works well, even wifi (the one thing most other distro's seem to have problems with) I think I'm running out of memory.

I tried different boot options, and finally had success with antix-failsafe. I was able to install just fine, but now the highest graphics resolution available to me is 800x600. Everything else works great, but I really need those extra pixels!

Is there anything I can do to fix this? If I need to reinstall using different settings, that's cool, I haven't really done much with it yet except surf the web. I have some linux experience, but not a lot. I set up a few Redhat servers a few years ago.

Any help appreciated.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hello.

Boot the livecd and copy the /etc/X11/xorg.conf over to the installed system using Mepis system assistant. (msystem as root in a terminal)
fixitman
I'll give it a try. Thanks for the quick response.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Do you have a swap partition? If you don't I suggest creating one.
fixitman
Just got home and gave it a go. Worked like a charm , thanks. I couldn't find the function in msystem. Did you mean mxconfig? That's what I did (found it in msystem help)

And yes, I'm using a 2 GB SWAP.

Thanks for the help.

Mike
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Whoops, yes mxconfig.

Enjoy antiX!