dieselbenz
BEAUTIFUL.

This is the sort of thing that can move a 200 lbs. man such as I am to tears!

I'd like to see IceDove available out of the box along with Claws. I know Claws is lightweight, but some Joe (and Jane) Users are used to Outlook Express look-and-feel, especially when it comes to handling attachments. You bit the bullet w/ selecting IceWeasel so let's finish the thought. __{{emoticon}}__

(Claws for the minimalists, IceDove for the traditionalists.)

In summary, I am totally blown away by the 7.2 release. You have something of which you should be extremely proud! Ya' done good!

Don
eriefisher
Claws can handle everything via plugins. Even a calender (Vcal) that will sync online. You can also set claws to open attachments with a preferred app, xpdf for .pdf, dillo or iceweasel for links etc. I use it regularly. Don't tell me your getting lazy Don!

You can set claws to open web links internally with dillo or gtkhtml as well.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
That is a nice (limited) review. I am proud of it, and the work by other antiX users (past and present) to make it a great distro.
Future work (by OU812 and others, including the smxi script) has already shown that the next release will be even better!

Icedove will not be included by default in the next antiX, simply because claws can do as much and more (with the plugins) on lower RAM boxes and 'cos I'm not into traditons!! LOL . Of course icedove is an easy apt-get/synaptic away. Maybe a good idea is to have included in the FAQ a section on installing 'known' packages to the default ones?

Just upgrading antiX-M7.2 for the future version, has added over 100MB! This is with no new apps. Debian is starting to get a bit bloated compared with Slackware.
dieselbenz
eriefisher wrote:Claws can handle everything via plugins. Even a calender (Vcal) that will sync online. You can also set claws to open attachments with a preferred app, xpdf for .pdf, dillo or iceweasel for links etc. I use it regularly. Don't tell me your getting lazy Don!

You can set claws to open web links internally with dillo or gtkhtml as well.
Thank you for making my point. <wink>

With enough time and patience, I could turn Slackware 12 into an antiX clone. Not that I'd want to but it would just be a matter of adding/subtracting pieces of source code and lots of configuration.

The only reason I recommended IceDove is that new users have a very short attention span. They don't want to have to reconfigure a distro or"make" Claws do what they want it to do. To be honest, 99% wouldn't want to edit the menu.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not faulting antiX for not including IceDove -- it was only a suggestion. Seems that anti and I had a similar discussion (with me being a bit stubborn) before he incorporated Streamtuner. __{{emoticon}}__
DJiNN
I also think that IceDove is a good choice, especially for users coming from other distros (or even XP etc). For all my good intentions of wanting to try Claws, i still haven't as of yet. Why? Mainly because i have rather a lot of emails in my IceDove setup which (as far as i know) can't be transferred over to Claws. So basically i'd have to start from scratch.

That's one of the reasons why, some people at least, will want to continue using IceDove, even though Claws may be equally as capable (And a lot lighter i would imagine).

But as anti said, it is only an apt-get/synaptic away. Good idea to put it in the FAQ's though, so that new users know the alternatives and how to get them. __{{emoticon}}__
eriefisher
I have never used Icedove but if it will export to mbox then claws should be able to import it ok. Most linux mail clients an handle mbox.
Jerry
@DJiNN: put what, exactly, in the FAQs? Are you suggesting that we put in a FAQ specifically for claws--> icedove?

If we do that, where do we stop? There are many upgrades possible for the default packages in antiX, do we include them all? Or do we make a table of just some of them--but using what for criteria?

I'd appreciate any further thoughts you have on this--probaboly should move it to the Documentation forum if you respond. Thanks.
eriefisher
I think they may be referring to an alternate list of available packages to be include in the FAQ. It would not have to be long, just a few suggestions if people have other preferences. I think though there are many lists like this, especially for people moving from windows. Maybe just a pointer to one of these list. I think there is one in the Mepis wiki some where.
DJiNN
eriefisher wrote:I have never used Icedove but if it will export to mbox then claws should be able to import it ok. Most linux mail clients an handle mbox.
I've just checked, and strangely enough there is"No" Export function (or at least i can't find one) in IceDove. There's an"Import" function, so maybe they feel that once people start using IceDove/Thunderbird etc, why would you use anything else? __{{emoticon}}__
DJiNN
Jerry wrote:@DJiNN: put what, exactly, in the FAQs? Are you suggesting that we put in a FAQ specifically for claws--> icedove?

If we do that, where do we stop? There are many upgrades possible for the default packages in antiX, do we include them all? Or do we make a table of just some of them--but using what for criteria?

I'd appreciate any further thoughts you have on this--probaboly should move it to the Documentation forum if you respond. Thanks.
Hi Jerry. No, nothing like that.... pretty much exactly what eriefisher said in his post. New users who are looking for something else to replace some of the installed packages, often don't know what to install etc, could possibly benefit from knowing what alternatives are available. It was just a thought really. __{{emoticon}}__
dieselbenz
DJiNN wrote:
eriefisher wrote:I have never used Icedove but if it will export to mbox then claws should be able to import it ok. Most linux mail clients an handle mbox.
I've just checked, and strangely enough there is"No" Export function (or at least i can't find one) in IceDove. There's an"Import" function, so maybe they feel that once people start using IceDove/Thunderbird etc, why would you use anything else? __{{emoticon}}__
All of the mail stuff is in a hidden folder in /home/name -- either .mozilla-thunderbird or .thunderbird normally. You can export your address book but not your mail messages.
thinkpada21
eriefisher wrote:
I have never used Icedove but if it will export to mbox then claws should be able to import it ok.
IceDove/ThunderBird stores messages in mbox format, so you can just read the"mail folders" directly with any app that can read mbox files.
eriefisher
thinkpada21 wrote:eriefisher wrote:
I have never used Icedove but if it will export to mbox then claws should be able to import it ok.
IceDove/ThunderBird stores messages in mbox format, so you can just read the"mail folders" directly with any app that can read mbox files.
There you go, how much easier could it be? Just create an account in claws and point it to the folder.