Jerry
the broadcom driver b43 legacy was already installed. I used apt-get to install the fwcutter, which downloaded the driver file.

Right now I am trying to get the wlan0 interface up, but apparently I do not know how *shy*"ifup wlan0" ignores the unknown interface wlan0...
Take a look at the MEPIS Wiki on Broadcom:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Any_card_using_the_Broadcom_43xx_chipset"
linktext was:"http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/ ... xx_chipset"
====================================

Also the User's Manual:
url was:"http://sblinux.org/m7v1.0/manual7_5-7-1wireless.html"
linktext was:"http://sblinux.org/m7v1.0/manual7_5-7-1wireless.html"

Then if that doesn't help, please run

Code: Select all

iwconfig
lspci
ndiswrapper -l
and paste the output here so we can take a look.
Imrael
dumdidu, it's me again __{{emoticon}}__

I worked out my wpa_supplicant problems.
When I tested it with a working access point in range, it connected and I was able to get my connection data via dhcp.

Seems just that wpa_supplicant doesn't stop scanning when none of the networks in wpa_supplicant.conf is in range.

Still, I have some things to learn (and I enjoy the experience):

- which daemon controls my backlight/brightness? I have found no menu for this and the changing brightness starts annoying me.
I would prefer it to be only changeable by the corresponding buttons or if I go to display lock state (which should ideally turn the backlight off until keypress).

- can anyone recommend a firefox theme, that takes less space? I only have a display height of 800 px and the Firefox interface is way to big.

- the"Mount a connected device" function works fine, but how do I unmount it again? (haven't yet gotten around to understand the mount system completely... I know that in order to use a device, it needs to be mounted, but I never got, where do I find it once connected but unmounted and how to see which device nodes can be mounted)

- when my battery is low, the system bell beeps loudly. Where can I change what is to be done when battery is low? (would prefer a visual warning, as loud beeps have gotten me thrown out of a lecture at university)

- I have experienced that when I drag wterm around, my cpu load goes up to max. 50% at both cores, regardless of deactivated transparency. Anyone know what causes this ? (maybe the little overlay with the coordinates?)

- how can I change the keyboard layout to de-latin1-nodeadkeys ?
The Control Center does not save my changes on this tab (not only keymapping but also computer name etc...)
lucky9
For Firefox try View/Full Screen
Imrael
I tried IceWM today and it looks great as well.
Now it's hard to decide which one to like better *g*

Still I found something that didn't work as well:

-Switching back from IceWM to Fluxbox via the Menu-Entry.
I remember it working when I tested the 7.2 liveCD so I was surprised that nothing happened.
- When in IceWM and MC, pressing F5 for copying files opens the setup dialog for Claws Mail.

And still some questions from before remain:

- where can I change the"low battery beeps" ?
- Mepis menu for changing computername/domain and keymapping etc does not work at all
(I found out that de-latin1-nodeadkeys" is set as default in my xorg.conf, but the slim.log file tells me that the server can't find the corresponding keymap file... where does it search and what exactly do I have to put there?)
- which program/daemon controls the backlight?
- how do I unmount the devices mounted by the Control Center button?
Last edited by Imrael on 29 Jul 2008, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
OU812
Switching from icewm to fluxbox and fluxbox to icewm via menu entries should be fixed in the next release. Thanks.

john
eriefisher
- where can I change the"low battery beeps" ?
Look at man xset in a terminal. you can turn it off, adjust volume and duration.
- Mepis menu for changing computername/domain and keymapping etc does not work at all
(I found out that de-latin1-nodeadkeys" is set as default in my xorg.conf, but the slim.log file tells me that the server can't find the corresponding keymap file... where does it search and what exactly do I have to put there?)
This might help.
url was:"http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speak_Your_Language"
linktext was:"http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speak_Your_Language"

- which program/daemon controls the backlight?
Not sure here. Mines uses the function and f-keys.
- how do I unmount the devices mounted by the Control Center button?
You should be able to do it in Rox with the right click menu?
Imrael
Look at man xset in a terminal. you can turn it off, adjust volume and duration.
I already switched the bell off. Still it rings when on low battery. Lately I found some graphical menu about hardware and such when I was clicking around. Gotta try to find that one again.
Mines uses the function and f-keys.
These work perfectly, but some program/daemon resets the brightness to a fixed value after a while. This is nagging me, so I would like to turn it off.

@unmount via rox: gotta try that __{{emoticon}}__
@keymap: I still don't really get all this :-/ I tried"loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz" and it doesn't return an error message, but nothing changes... and those other files they mention (/etc/conf.d/*) are not present in my installation (at least I couldn't find the conf.d directory)
Gotta dig deeper into the work of the X server to find out why he doesn't find the nodeadkeys keymap as the error message states
Imrael
Does Mozilla Firefox have an own repository or something alike? The preinstalled Iceweasel has some serious bugs concerning CSS, so some pages are virtually unusable for me.

I looked for an original Firefox in all repositories I do have enabled in Synaptic, but I have only found transitional packages to Iceweasel.

I could just download the program from mozilla.com but then I would have to redownload it for every new version, which I try to avoid.
h2
firefox is iceweasel, there is almost no difference. Look elsewhere for the cause of the problem, like a corrupted profile, bad extensions, etc.

Provide a link here of a site that allegedly doesnt' display due to 'bugs concerning css' and I'll confirm or deny your issue.

I do web development, with heavy and advanced CSS, and I can assure you iceweasel is the same as firefox.
Imrael

url was:"http://www.welt.de/politik/article1196915/DDR-Test.html"
linktext was:"http://www.welt.de/politik/article1196915/DDR-Test.html"

The ads on the right are not displayed correctly (too far to the left, so they enter the content area) in iceweasel, but are in firefox.
Also in some of my browsergames, the fonts are displayed odd.

UPDATE: What you said made me curious, so I deleted my mozilla profile folder (.mozilla)
When visiting the page again, the error did not occur anymore (Even though the Search Bar still overlaps the rest of the navbar). Still I wonder, because these font problems I had before, even using the live cd. I will make a mental note to check upon that next time I load up the liveCD.
h2
You have to set the default font sizes used by iceweasel, they have a default of x, if you want y, you need to change that.

In general, you can very safely assume that nobody in their right mind is going to even contemplate hacking into the firefox css/javascript/html engines, iceweasel is not a fork, it simply uses a few different icons etc, changes a few little options in firefox to make it debian dfsg compatible.
Dr.U
Imrael wrote: @keymap: I still don't really get all this :-/ I tried"loadkeys /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/de-latin1-nodeadkeys.kmap.gz" and it doesn't return an error message, but nothing changes... and those other files they mention (/etc/conf.d/*) are not present in my installation (at least I couldn't find the conf.d directory)
Gotta dig deeper into the work of the X server to find out why he doesn't find the nodeadkeys keymap as the error message states
Although I am very impressed with antiX, I too think that it is important to fix the keyboard mapping problems. I also need to use the de-latin1-nodeadkeys keyboard mapping, but it just does not work __{{emoticon}}__

This cannot be such a difficult thing to solve, as every distro I have tried does not have any difficulty. Not being a Linux guru, I spent at least 1.5 days trying to solve this problem, but have finally given up since I have work that must get finished using my computer. So I will have to live with the entering AltGr and + and then pressing an extra key (space) to finally get ~ to appear. Rather pathetic, I must say ... __{{emoticon}}__

Without a solution to this, I doubt that future versions of antiX will have much acceptance in Germany, despite the fact that this is otherwise an excellent distro. __{{emoticon}}__

Added note (edit): I finally managed to get my pc105 German keyboard to work as it should. Unfortunately, I doubt that I can say what one exactly needs to do since I made so many changes during my last round of mods to try to get it to work __{{emoticon}}__ but if anyone else wants me to try to say what the changes were, I will attempt to list them in another posting... just reply to this.

Regards,
-- Dr. U
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Dr.U

Firstly, glad to hear you got it working. It would be very useful if you could document the changes you made and put it in the Tips and Tricks section.
equimanthorn
Dr.U wrote: Added note (edit): I finally managed to get my pc105 German keyboard to work as it should. Unfortunately, I doubt that I can say what one exactly needs to do since I made so many changes during my last round of mods to try to get it to work __{{emoticon}}__ but if anyone else wants me to try to say what the changes were, I will attempt to list them in another posting... just reply to this.

@Dr.U

Please Dr.U post here your file :/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Maybe is good for me,I using a dell laptop with german keyboard.

Paolo