Marv
Posts 0
Marv
hi, i have been using mx14 on an old laptop for a while until i had what looks like a hardware fault.
before i had time to look at the problem a friend asked me to look at their (vista on dec) computer.
naturally i suggested linux. i installed mx14 without incident; updated it; added some extra software, e.g. chromium and a backup prog; i added stuff they would be mostly using to the desktop; generally made it as simple as possible for them ... and it looked great ! i added a few extras to chromium, e.g. ghostery & add block, and then i started iceweasel to do the same ... BANG - the screen went"wavy diagonal lightning strikes" (technical term) and it locked up.
i rebooted and tried again - same.
so i re-formatted and re-installed.
this time i tried the weasel immediately after the install finished ... same again!
re-install, again, un-installed weasel and installed firefox ... same again!
i tried running mx-14 from the live cd with the same problem.
i even tried amtix from the live cd but had exactly the same problem.
re-install and shot the weasel.
reloaded all the nice stuff i spent ages loading the first time (chromium, extensions, desktop, etc) and all was great. then i made the mistake of wondering what processor / memory the machine had so i started the system profiler and BANG - same again!
clearly, imo, whatever dec has done to the onboard video card doesn't like certain things ... ???
i have tried a few other distros and the moz browsers work fine.
has anyone any suggestions, thoughts, ... whatever ! please??
p.s.
i have had to install crunchbang as i need to drop the machine off tomorrow.
however, i would like to resolve this so that i can move them to mx or antix in the furture.
Last edited by Guest on 13 Nov 2014, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
dolphin_oracle
posting an"inxi -F" report would be useful here as we will be able to see the particular hardware configuration. I'm surprised that crunchbag would work and not mx/antix since #! is also debian based.

with the livecd, you can use the"F" menus at the boot screen to choose a video mode. Try safe and then 'very safe" and see if either of those modes allows the browser to work.

could also be a ram or even a temperature/overheating problem.
rokytnji
It is a nouveau and nvidia gltich I have experienced in AntiX 64bit recently.
I forget exact steps I took to fix it but it involved installing proprietary
nvidia driver using sgfxi script and deleting / etc/X11/xorg.conf it made.I mentioned it once before on the forum but I also forget where and when. Funny part is D.O. My screen scrambled when I opened terminal and did a inxi .

I have to research to find my post.
rokytnji
Doing some research : From the main AntiX page
12 November 2013

New bug-fix kernels available

For those using antiX-13 series with the 3.7.10 kernel, you should update to the latest in the antiX stable repositories. The updated kernel fixes the bug of building applications that need to be built with Wheezy's libs and gcc.

Without going into detail, if you want to run antiX-13 series fixed to the Wheezy repository and want to install for example Virtualbox and nvidia drivers, you MUST install the latest 3.7.10.antix.7 kernel for your architecture for each application to build.

If you are running Testing or Sid repos, it is not needed. Users can also install much more up to date kernels. 3.11.5 is available and 3.12.0 is being worked on.

The kernel must be installed manually.

Here is the way to do it in a root terminal.

Your antix.list in etc/apt/sources.d should look like this:
I included the date in the quote so you could find it easy like.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://antix.mepis.com/index.php?title=Main_Page"
linktext was:"http://antix.mepis.com/index.php?title=Main_Page"
====================================

My post is short in context because I be a busy biker today.

Edit; This is the only post I could find by me on my mention of the scrambled screen issue brought up by the OP.

antix-14-suggestions-t5003.html?mobile=desktop
Well, one thing I have noticed is hinky things going on between 3.13+ kernels and nouveau drivers on Older Nvidia embedded video chips.

I'll run inxi and get a scrambled screen and a computer lockup. I guess it would be nice to mention to use safe graphics option in F keys on boot of live session. before a install if you have legacy nvidia graphics.

Or maybe I am being just like rc, and am being weird.
So for now. My suggestion is use The F keys on initial live boot session and instead of using default on video F key.
Use the safe option instead. Then do the install. I am glad you brought this up as I forgot all about this
and one of my test machines has a legacy nvidia chip in it.

I will be needing this reminder when testing new RV & RD 14a3 AntiX testing isos.

Thanks for reminding me. __{{emoticon}}__

If you read the whole thread in the link I posted. you will see You and I was not the only ones to get a scrambled screen.
I have seen the scrambled screen as well, I was going to try a bios update. I guess though that I should maybe downgrade the kernel on the box by the sounds of it. You seem to be having the same problem as me as well rocky. This to is on a box with on board nvidia chip.
Marv
Posts 0
Marv
Many, many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to even read my post ... if only politicians thought like you guys the world would be a much nicer place.
It's all sorted now.
As suggested i did a safe video initial boot and all was ok.

May i announce the"birth" of two new, very happy, Linux, MX-14, users.

Thanks again to a great bunch of human beings - the Linux community!