dieselbenz
My desktop system is PCLinuxOS 2007. Nice (sorry, Warren) but I get a bit frustrated with KDE. The hardware isn't anywhere near bleeding edge technology (a Pentium III).

Decided to see if I could put Gnome onto it. A quick check on Google revealed that the respository has a file called task-gnome that downloads and installs the complete Gnome desktop.

Did same and am very happy with it. Once you go Gnome, you'll never go home (unless, of course, you are running antiX).

Thought about doing this on the wife's Mepis 6.5 system. Interesting -- task-gnome isn't available in the Mepis Synaptic repository. Probably for the best, since"change" at the desktop level really throws her.
OU812
If you like pclinuxos, you may want to try these derivatives:

1. tinyflux or midiflux (self-explanatory)
2. SAM (xfce)
3. tinyme (openbox + lxde)

They're all still fairly new, but perhaps worth taking a look.

john
eriefisher
dieselbenz wrote:Thought about doing this on the wife's Mepis 6.5 system. Interesting -- task-gnome isn't available in the Mepis Synaptic repository. Probably for the best, since"change" at the desktop level really throws her.
6.5 uses the Ubuntu base does it not? If so, install the ubuntu-desktop. I have tried Gnome several times and I don't know what it is but I just don't like it. It does have some very nice features though.

eriefisher
acidburned
OU812 wrote:If you like pclinuxos, you may want to try these derivatives:

1. tinyflux or midiflux (self-explanatory)
2. SAM (xfce)
3. tinyme (openbox + lxde)

They're all still fairly new, but perhaps worth taking a look.

john
if you use one of these i recommend tinyme,its the best one of them.
acidburned
eriefisher wrote:
dieselbenz wrote:Thought about doing this on the wife's Mepis 6.5 system. Interesting -- task-gnome isn't available in the Mepis Synaptic repository. Probably for the best, since"change" at the desktop level really throws her.
6.5 uses the Ubuntu base does it not? If so, install the ubuntu-desktop. I have tried Gnome several times and I don't know what it is but I just don't like it. It does have some very nice features though.

eriefisher
it does and yes the ubuntu -desktop option is the way to go for gnome.