HPNotebook/Laptop 15-ac125ds

Kogomo
I am no newby been usin g Mephis sine it had a fish tank. My new laptop came w/W10 and some kind` of secure boot. I can turn on lwgacy boot but still not complete an install. I gave up on a USB drive to install but am trying to use an USB drive with SATA 500g HD (full size) still no luck. What is the W/seure boot and shoul`d I try Legac`y. A\
Alson I have an New gb lappy drive, can I unhook the original drive NS INSTALL aNTIx ON THE NEW DRIVE.
Shay
I had to disable secure boot, then That silly HP did right.
Kogomo
Sorry but just disabling the secure boot still no go.
I have to enable Legacy Boot...
Anti-X Live Usb made in Windows works well but can not install to USB HD...
Should I try using a CD to install?
rokytnji
Anti-X Live Usb made in Windows works well but can not install to USB HD...
Not enough details. Even with

post49210.html#p49210
thriftee
I think its an external USB hard drive. Does the drive show up as an option on the install?

Particulars about the drive and system would help. run

inxi -Fxz

in a root terminal and paste in the results here so people can see what the system appears as.

Do you get any error messages?
skidoo
Does the drive show up as an option on the install?
R`eadin'g thed escriptio` n maekks it wanna asks:
Does the drive show up as a boot option in the BIOS setup screen ?
thriftee
I looked at the specs. It has a USB 3.0 port, which should be fast. Maybe you could run live with persistence from the USB 3.0 with a fast USB 3.0 Flashdrive. They are pretty cheap these days...
Shay
16 GB USB 3 run about $7 here.
jdmeaux1952
My thoughts on UEFI motherboards and Windows 7/8/10 dual booting with AntiX/MX Linux.

Sometimes you got to keep the Windows on the machine, but you want the speed of AntiX. How do you dual-boot this? I researched, read, and tinkered around on how this is done. What I found was a confusing mess! But I finally figured it out.

The first step was to get into the BIOS of the machine. On some machines it booted so fast you couldn't get to the BIOS easily. When you first turn on the machine, press the key (DEL, F2, or ESC; whichever your machine needs) needed to get into BIOS, and keep TAPPING that key. Eight (8) times out of ten (10) it will get you into the BIOS. Now what?

You need to turn off the SECURE BOOT. You may have to dig around in all those menus and sub-menus to find the setting, but you have to get to LEGACY boot.

Then go to the boot menu to choose in which order you machine boots (HD, DVD/CD, or USB-drive). I usually put mine as USB-drive first, then DVD, and then finally the HD. That way I can always use a USB-drive to try a different distro or to fix any problems with the machine. NOTE: Some machines require you to have a usb-drive connected to be able to locate it. Another chose is to use the F10 key to get to the BOOT DRIVE menu where you can select which drive to boot from.

Now Microsoft in their wisdom has made it harder to reformat a hard drive when their product is installed. [On some machines GPART (which is part of most Linux distros) will not work to create a new partition.]

So now you have to use Microsoft's own product to do it. In Windows run diskmgmt.msc and a graphic interface of how the hard drive is partitioned. Normally the first 2 partitions are the System Partitions to boot the machine into windows. Do not, I repeat DO NOT attempt to mess with these or your machine will never work without you completely reformatting the entire drive. The 3rd partitiuseableuseableon is usually the Windows working area and is marked as ??? GB NTFS Healthy (Logical Drive). This partition has all the Windows files to operate. If all your machine has is a single hard drive, this will take up the most area of the drive. You can select this area and Right-Click your mouse, and a menu pops up. You want to Shrink Volume to give you room to install AntiX or MX. Select Shrink Volume and another window comes up. You can decide here how much of the partition you want to use for your Linux installation. (On my 500 GB hard drive, I was able to shrink the Windows volume by 65 GB to use for MX-15, and still run windows as a dual-boot.)

Once you have finished SHRINKING the Windows volume, you will need to make the new partition usable. Select the new partition and right-click your mouse. You will be asked to specify the volume size. Specify the total amount (or whatever you decide you want to use) and click the Next button and you will asked to select a Drive Letter. (I used the next available letter which in my case was D:) Click the Next button and you will be asked to Format the partition. I used FAT32 and Default Allocation Size, but you can use NTFS if you want. I labeled the partition as Linux, Click Next and it should give you a summary of what the partition is. Finish this up and exit the Disk Management program.

Now you can install the USB with your AntiX/MX distro and reboot the machine. Now it should go to the USB and open the AntiX/MX desktop after it reboots. You are now able to install your Linux distro, using the new partition. Just remember which drive it was. And after install the GRUB to the MBR, you should now be able to dual-boot Windows and Linux.

Just remember that to keep the computer happy, you have to close the windows.
Shay
USB Flash Drive Boot Reference List

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://craftedflash.com/info/how-boot-computer-from-usb-flash-drive"
linktext was:"https://craftedflash.com/info/how-boot- ... lash-drive"
====================================

MSI motherboards generally use F11