John
Hi:

How is a distribution like AntiX made?
I understand that there at least two parts to GNU/Linux the GNU programs and the Linux kernel, but I don't understand which is what, and what each piece does. Nor do I understand what is added to make a distribution.
Will you take the time to explain it to me?
I hope my questions are clear.

John
masinick
John, let me give you just a simple explanation, and others can fill in more details if they choose to do so. AntiX aims to be a fast, lean, fairly stable, and flexible variation of the MEPIS family of products, so that is the first clue.

The initial effort involved replacing the resource heavy desktop environment with a lighter window manager, Fluxbox, and replacing a number of resource heavy applications with lighter applications that could still get the job done. The MEPIS core was chosen, including the kernel, administration tools, and other features. Then AntiX specific art work, configurations, modified tools, and a variety of other features were added to take the place of some of the MEPIS tools.

As time went on, another window manager, IceWM, was added to the collection, a small base system and a larger, more complete system were added. More customization to make an integrated AntiX experience were added to make it much more than just a"cut this out, add this in" kind of a system. The system continues to evolve in this way, becoming more and more uniquely AntiX, and some excellent tools and techniques have been borrowed from the sidux and Absolute Linux projects, to name two that I am aware of.

People help Anticapitalista with the customization, and suggest potential new techniques or applications that they would like to see. Many in the community help test out new ideas. Ultimately Anticapitalista is the primary creator and integrator of this software, but he taps the interests and abilities of many in the forum here, and he also taps the outstanding expertise across the free software communities.

I hope that gives you a very simple, high level view of what the work is like. I am sure that others can provide you with other viewpoints, and should you need them, some details to learn more about antiX.

Glad you have joined us!