trudeal
Hi,

I just installed AntiX on an old laptop (IBM Thinkpad A20m).
The install went very well and I am very happy with AntiX.
Thanks to the developpers!

Just a small question: how can I select my keyboard as French-Canadian?
I want to be able to use the accents.
I don't see this as a choice.

Thanks
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Welcome to antiX.

Firstly you will need to enable French Canadian fr_CA.UTF-8 UTF-8 in the locales
#dpkg-reconfigure locales

Then you will have to set up the keyboard
#dpkg-reconfigure console-data
#dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
trudeal
Thanks!
I'll try this tonight.
trudeal
Worked great, thanks!
quasar
It didn't work out for me. I'm using a Dell Inspiron laptop with Antix on a USB stick. It took me a while and I mean a while to find out that typing ''setxkbmap ca'' in a terminal was a solution. But I have to type it every session since I don't know how to make it persistent. That language issue is very annoying. Other than that, Antix is a pearl on a USB stick.
BitJam
quasar wrote:It didn't work out for me. I'm using a Dell Inspiron laptop with Antix on a USB stick. It took me a while and I mean a while to find out that typing ''setxkbmap ca'' in a terminal was a solution. But I have to type it every session since I don't know how to make it persistent. That language issue is very annoying. Other than that, Antix is a pearl on a USB stick.
If you have a"real" live-usb (not made with the"dd" command) then setting the language should be very easy. Select"French (CA)" from the"F2 Language menu" (see screen shot) and then also set"F8 Save" --> save. That's it! The F8 menu does not show up in the picture because I took it by booting from an iso file in Virtual box. The F8 menu only shows up on a"real" live-usb.

I noticed a bug in the UEFI language menu. The French Canadian entry is missing. If you are booting via UEFI then edit the boot entry manually (press"e") and add"lang=fr_CA" (no quotes) to the end of the"linux" line. You can still go through all the text menus to get to the save part or you can use"menus=s" instead of"menus" and only the save menu will show up.

If this doesn't work then we need to update our language database in addition to fixing the UEFI language menu. I've already made the fix to the menu.
quasar
Thanks. I'm not sure if I understood all your explanation, but I am not using a live-usb. I made a complete installation on a 30Gb 3.0 stick so I don't have access to the F2 language start up menu. Anyway, I am satisfied with my findings.
fatmac
quasar wrote:....typing ''setxkbmap ca'' in a terminal was a solution. But I have to type it every session since I don't know how to make it persistent.
You could try adding it to the end of your .bashrc file.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Best to set it up in etc/default/keyboard

Change to XKBLAYOUT="ca"

You might need to reboot for it to work
quasar
anticapitalista wrote:Best to set it up in etc/default/keyboard

Change to XKBLAYOUT="ca"

You might need to reboot for it to work

Worked perfectly. Thanks a lot!
antik
Hello> Didn work for me>

/home/demo# dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults
update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults