hocks
Hi,

First of all, thank you to the developers of antiX for creating lightweight and versatile system. This is my introduction to debian and icewm as well as various lightweight apps. It fulfils my regular use except for one gap concerning my Sansa Clip portable player.

I want ot mount my 2 GB Sansa Clip in antiX but when I plug in the USB port, it doesn't appear in /media. However, the 4 GB SD card expansion is automatically mounted as usb-sdd1. I can browse the contents of usb-sdd1, add and remove files and unmount via in rox. While I can use the Sansa this way, it's irritating to lose the 2 GB capacity on the device.

Its USB mode is already set to MSC and the device is recognized and mounted in crunchbang 10 (Openbox) as well as PCLinuxOS 2009.1 (KDE 3.5).

Googling for"mount sansa" + debian/mepis/antix hasn't produced much in solutions other than setting the device to MSC mode.

Since crunchbang is also debian based, it's obviously possible to mount the device. Perhaps I am missing a package or configuration?

Appreciate any clues to troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks.

Best regards,
hocks
Cuttlefish
Hello hocks and welcome.
I hope that I'm understanding your question and can help you. In order to mount your sandisk, you will need to click on the wrench/screwdriver icon (antiX control center) on the bottom left and choose the disk tab. Once there, you need to"Mount Connected Drive". An antiX-Mountbox Gui should appear and you need to press on the"List" button. Then you need to look for the device among those listed. Once you locate it, you need to replace the device name in the antiX-Mountbox. Example: /dev/sr0 to /dev/sda3. Then click on"Mount" button on the antiX-Mountbox. I think that is it. __{{emoticon}}__

antiX does not auto-mount as #! does. I hope this helps.
Dave

Don't forget to press the Unmount button when you want to remove your device.

EDIT: Hmm. My daughter reminded me of our Sansa e280. Although it is not the same model, I thought I'd give it a shot. No luck. Greater minds than mine (not difficult to find), will need to investigate this. Sorry.
hocks
Thank you Dave.

No success trying the antiX control center. Here's what I did:

I removed the expansion SD card, plugged in the Sansa Clip and tried the"Mount Connected Devices" tool from the Control Center. Four devices show up as sdb1 to sdb4 with"?" and unknown file systems in the Fdisk -l output. I tried mounting each device via the"Mount" button without success. I attach the Fdisk -l output screenshot.

For the greater minds out there, here are two other pieces of information that could be useful: snippets of my ~/.icewm/startup and /etc/udev/rules.d/99-usbstorage.rules files:

In my icewm ~/.icewm/startup file, the automount line is commented out.

# Auto-mount usb devices in rox /media. Do not use with /etc/udev/rules.d/99-usbstorage.rules
# Do not use if you use Thunar or pcmanfm file managers.
# sleep 5 && devmon --exec-on-drive"rox /media" &

And this is what my"99-usbstorage.rules" file looks like:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KERNEL!="sd*[1-9]*", GOTO="exit"

# Import FS infos
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", IMPORT{program}="/sbin/blkid -o udev -p %N"

# Get a label if present, otherwise specify one
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}!="", ENV{dir_name}="%E{ID_FS_LABEL}"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ENV{ID_FS_LABEL}=="", ENV{dir_name}="usb-%k"

# Global mount options
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{pmount_options}="--noatime"

# File system specific mount options to avoid auto probing
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ntfs|vfat", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} --umask 007 --charset utf8"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ntfs", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t ntfs-3g"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="vfat", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t vfat"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ext2", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t ext2"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ext3", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t ext3"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{ID_FS_TYPE}=="ext4", ENV{pmount_options}="%E{pmount_options} -t ext4"

# Mount the device
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", RUN+="/bin/su hocks -c '/usr/bin/pmount $env{pmount_options} /dev/%k /media/%E{dir_name}'"

# Clean up after removal
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="remove", ENV{dir_name}!="", RUN+="/usr/bin/pumount /dev/%k"

# Exit
LABEL="exit"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More clues anyone? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
hocks
dolphin_oracle
I've got a sansa clip at home. I'll try it at lunch time and see what happens.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I have an iriver player that shows the same output with fdisk -l.

This is what I did.

blkid as root

Code: Select all

# blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="7f0e40c1-4069-4c16-880e-f1dc821756b2" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sda2: UUID="dbe156d6-0bfb-4bb6-ae43-73e7021215e2" TYPE="swap" 
/dev/sda3: LABEL="Data" UUID="2c53bf5a-8caa-4534-beb1-f5aa04050918" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sdb1: UUID="608c1f15-3e46-4aae-9bd1-65564c6ef37d" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb2: UUID="443efc96-b90e-48f8-a478-173e48516142" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb3: LABEL="Data" UUID="f56325d7-99bc-4d6d-b84d-b81554a404dd" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sdb4: LABEL="Backup" UUID="fd819db3-054f-4ff2-9fb7-5b72c0972cb1" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sdc: LABEL="T7" UUID="F8FB-2B89" TYPE="vfat" 
pmount /dev/sdc as user and it mounts as /media/sdc

To unmount, right-click on folder in rox.
dolphin_oracle
my sansa clip does not show up automatically in rox, but thunar sees it just fine. Thunar mounts it under /media/sansa clip. eject volume works of it too. Mine doesn't have a separate card slot though.

**edit** same thing with my sansa fuze.
hocks
Thank you both for your suggestions.

@anticapitalista: The blkid followed by pmount commands solution worked! Must investigate these commands further...

@dolphin_oracle: Thunar sees the Sansa Clip but refuses to mount it.Says it's"Not Authorized". Perhaps it has to do with my activation of /etc/udev/rules.d/99-usbstorage.rules...

Anyway, I'm happy to be able to mount my trusty Clip.

Thanks!

Best regards,
hocks
Cuttlefish
I wonder if you can mount your Sansa in Thunar as root?
hocks
Hi Dave,

Strangely, it's worse with Thunar as root - Thunar does not even see the devices much less mount them. Don't understand why.

In any case, I'm quite happy with the pmount solution as I prefer rox as file manager. It's just sooooo fast!

Thanks and happy new year.

hocks
Cuttlefish
Glad you got it working to your satisfaction. __{{emoticon}}__

Happy New Year!

Dave