fblthp
Hi,

Is there any way that I can skip the live boot and jump to the installation on the hdd?

I say this because the laptop I'm installing this on only has 98mb of memory with 233Mhz cpu.

Thanks in advance.
rokytnji
Cli installer is in the live boot menu. No? Check with the F keys since I have never needed to do a cli install.

Howdy and welcome. Hopefully Sam K. will see this thread. He is the low spec hardware guru here.

boot-antix-16b-2-t6356-30.html

install-using-the-cli-installer-t3041.html

With such low ram specs. You might want to use the core iso.
fblthp
I dont see the cli-installer in the boot menu. Also, would the cli-installer install fluxbox or only cli? Thanks.
rokytnji
Base iso is Fluxbox only.
I dont see the cli-installer in the boot menu.
I know. My bad as I was up late posting and not firing on all cylinders. That was why I posted Anti's instruction on how to run the cli installer.
If you have an older computer/laptop with less than 128MB RAM and a slow CPU, you might be better off using the cli-installer.

In tests, mainly by drg (thanks), you should be able to install all versions of antiX using the cli-installer with as little as 64MB RAM. Installing base and core should also be ok with as low as 48MB RAM. YMMV. (Don't expect miracles though after install on boxes less than 128MB RAM)

It is best to have your partitions already set up before booting the live medium. A swap partition is recommended. You should note how the partitions are labelled ie as sda1 or hda1 as you will need this information during install.
If you are not sure, before running the script, login as root and type blkid or fdisk -l (You could also use fdisk to set up the partitions before running the installer script)

1. Boot live-medium.
At grub/menu Press F1 for information and cheatcodes available, F2 to set the language you want, F3 to set the Timezone.
If your locale is not shown in F2, simply type the language like this: lang=ca_ES for Catalan.
If the timezone is not shown in F3, simply type like this: tz=Europe/Madrid
Press Enter when ready.

2. Login as root, password root. If your locale uses a non US keyboard, you may need to toggle Alt Shift to type correctly. Then type cli-installer

3. You will be asked if you want to repartition the disk. Default reply is No. If you choose to repartion the disk, then cli-installer will start cfdisk. If you need help with cfdisk, see here (thanks to TinyCore):
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/install.html"
linktext was:"http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/install.html"
====================================

You will be asked to choose type of file system for the partition from ext2, ext3 or ext4.

4. Once the partitions have been set up, you will then be asked where the root partition will be. Make sure you type the correct partition label eg sda1 or hda1 or sda2 etc.
etc... , etc....., etc......

Working with older laptops myself. I know it takes extra time, more effort, and hoop jumping to get a good result.
That is the price one pays for keeping older kits running.
I know this from personal experience.
masinick
I will say that though systems eventually slow down and get more and more difficult to use well after a number of years.

My Dell Dimension 4100 desktop worked well from 2001-2009.
My current Gateway 2000 PA6A and Lenovo 3000 Y410 laptops have worked well from 2008 until now.
The Lenovo N22 Chromebook and the Dell Inspiron 5558 have worked well in the past year, and I also had a prototype Chromebook CR-48 and a Dell Latitude D600 in the past decade. Those two slowed down a lot, but still worked at the time I let them go.
fblthp
I'm following the instructions that you guys are giving me but I'm running into some problems. I decided to put in a 20GB hdd and I am still running into problems.

INFO: I am not connected to the internet during the install.

When I use the CLI installer every time I get the following results.

cp: error writing './etc/.....': No space left on device
cp: failed to extend './etc/...': No space left on device
and it continues..

I did however delete all existing partitions with fdisk before running the installer.

My hdd uses sda1 i think.

Help.. I really want to use this distro.
rokytnji
Anti does mention partitioning the disk before running the installer.

So in case you have a floppy disc and floppy drive slot on your kit <crosses fingers here>? If so

url was:"http://www.afterdawn.com/software/system_tools/partitioning/partitionlogic_floppy.cfm"
linktext was:"http://www.afterdawn.com/software/syste ... floppy.cfm"

I keep one of these on floppy disk myself when running into old kits I need to partition with low ram specs.

I hope you know how to make a bootable floppy image disk. <crosses fingers again>

__{{emoticon}}__
masinick
Roky said:"I hope you know how to make a bootable floppy image disk. <crosses fingers again>"

For me, it's been quite a while since I have created a bootable floppy image disk, though that's the ONLY way I could do it back in the early Slackware days - in fact, back then, I believe that you had to make TWO floppy disks to go along with the CD installation - unless your system was SO OLD that you had to make ALL of them floppy disk images.

These days, I don't even have a floppy drive opening on all of my systems, and I don't have a CD or DVD drive on one of them - the Chromebook, but I do have USB ports on all of my systems. So it depends how OLD our systems are. The Gateway and Lenovo systems - or at least one of them might still have a floppy drive opening, but I've never used it. The Dell Dimension 4100 desktop is the last system I can remember that probably had one. My original Micron M100 desktop (1995) definitely DID have a floppy drive and I created the root and boot disks for Slackware using 3 1/2" floppy drives for that system, and I may have used the"sneakernet" - that is, finding a system that could obtain the necessary files over a"high speed" network (for that time) and transferring the boot and root files to 2 3 1/2" removable disks to initiate the booting process.

So the hardware that you have, if your systems support floppy drives, are probably 5-10 years older than my oldest remaining systems, which are nearly a decade old.
fblthp
rockytnji,
THANK YOU! I partitioned the disk before running the installer and it actually installed this time! BUT it still wont boot..

masinick,
i use a modified fdd pulled from a dell latitude and it works great every time.

So guys,
I decided to examine the partitions with fdisk after I got done installing antix and I did not see a boot flag next to the partition. I only use one partition which is root /. No home or swap.

How come antix does not add a boot flag? Its strange because i just got done installing antix again.

Are there any extra steps I need to take during the install to give the / partition the boot flag?

Thanks in advance as always!
Shay
Boot to a gparted cd and add the flags and Swap.

url was:"http://gparted.org/livecd.php"
linktext was:"http://gparted.org/livecd.php"
dolphin_oracle
The cli-installer on the shipping iso has a bug. It's been upgraded. If you can get your machine connected, do an apt-get update followed by apt-get install cli-installer-antix.
fblthp
Shay,
Thanks for the idea! I was able to add a boot flag. __{{emoticon}}__

dolphin_oracle,
It's a good thing you mentioned that because now the install continues. And like you said it was a bug.

Thank you to everyone who helped me out! I show my upmost grattitude. This is solved. __{{emoticon}}__