LaneLester
I sometimes find it useful to log on as root. I understand the dangers involved and am willing to risk the consequences. How does one enable root login in antiX?

Lane
rokytnji
Running live

user=root
password=root

installed
sux
user=your name
password=your password

su
user=your name
password=your password

gksu = for opening file managers as root user
user=your name
password=your password

smxi = for installing apps, meta pkgs, kernels, lots of neat features
user=your name
password=your password
LaneLester
Thank you, rokytnji, for that thorough reply. I was familiar with some, but not all, of that.

Regretfully, I seem to have failed to communicate my question clearly.

When the logon screen comes up, before icewm or fluxbox starts, instead of my username I would like to be able to enter"root" for the user and the user password. What config file do I edit to enable that capability?

Lane
rokytnji
I am right now fighting with Plop Boot manager. So I am not on my AntiX box at the moment. Look in Control Center under configure slim. I am not sure since I am not on my AntiX box right now but it may be in startup or something. You might want to wait awhile for a more knowledgeable member to reply to your thread later and point you to the exact location. Sorry dude.
LaneLester
Well, that's interesting. Someone provided an answer to my question that linked to another thread. When I cam back to this thread, his post was gone! Maybe the admin is one of those who feel no one should be allowed to log in as root. __{{emoticon}}__

rokytnji, no, the Control Center doesn't do it. From what I can tell, if Slim is running, it's impossible to log on as root. The linked reply said this is how to do it:
Type nogui at grub screen > enter
Enter root & password at the resulting prompt
Type startx > enter

I'm going to go see what happens, although the above doesn't make total sense to me, since I still have to choose the distro to boot (I have several on my drive). I'll come back and edit this when I see how it goes.

Later: Yeah, I was afraid of that. I evidently don't understand how to do it. When the grub menu was displayed, I typed"nogui", arrowed down to antiX, and the pressed Enter. No change; no root login possible. Not really surprising because Slim was running by the time login came.

Maybe there's something you can put in the antiX stanza that will keep X from starting and just give you a command prompt where you can log in as root. I put"nogui" in the antiX stanza, but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Lane

Lane
LaneLester
I took this to
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/how-to-boot-to-console-t2250.html"
linktext was:"another thread"
====================================
just about console login, and now I have a solution.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing what antiX can do!

Lane
eriefisher
nox might be what you want?
oldhoghead
Site Admin
LaneLester,

Actually, that was my post that had the link, then I decided to test the procedure in the link and found out it did not work, so I deleted my post. I was pressed for time and did not have time to explore another way. I was confident that someone from this forum would help you to achieve what you wanted, and I see they did.
As for anticapitalista, if you read further down in the post you would see that not only he, but many feel that login as root is unnecessary as you can achieve what you need by sux, su, sudo(not for me) or ctrl-alt-F1 and login as root to use smxi, or perform other administrative maintenance chores.
Linux is about choices and no one here would tell you not to login as root, except as a cautionary note, someone new to Linux may not realize the problems they might create and so it is in that spirit that it always seems prudent to give the warning about root login. __{{emoticon}}__

cheers,
oldhoghead
LaneLester
eriefisher wrote:nox might be what you want?
What is nox?

Lane