Silent Observer
I just installed antiX 13.2 64-bit on my main computer (Core2Quad 2.5 GHz, 4 GiB RAM, nVidia GT520 w/ 1 GiB on PCIEx16) -- I've got things going pretty well, except that I installed with video mode"vesa" and now it's starting up in 1024x768 instead of the 1280x1024 I'm used to (and that's native for my LCD monitor). The"Set Screen Resolution" in Control Centre only lets me set something smaller than what it considers native (i.e. 800x600). How can I get antiX to recognize the higher resolution of my video card and monitor?
Last edited by Silent Observer on 20 Apr 2014, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
dolphin_oracle
I may be wrong, but I think 1024x768 is the highest VESA supports. You'll need the driver for your video card to go higher.

someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
How can I get antiX to recognize the higher resolution of my video card and monitor?
Log out of X. Log in as root and type smxi, at which point you will get asked questions.

Eventually you come to the"Graphics" section which installs the correct Nvidia driver and writes you an xorg.conf, which you will need to place in / etc/ X11/

Then you log into X and all should be well.

The other way is to install the nvidia driver using synaptic, but that means doing stuff the hard way.
rust collector
Or type sgfxi, to go straight to the graphics part of smxi.
thriftee
I think dolphin was correct that VESA is maxxed out at 1024x768. I had that problem, too.

IMO, having used both sgfxi and smfxi, I think I'd try sgfxi first, as it just deals with the graphics.

As mentioned above, X can't be running and you need to be logged in as root to run either one. I usually close all apps and ctrl-alt-f1 to the console, log in as root, and do

Code: Select all

ps -ef | more
to get a list of processes, then find whichever one is calling X and kill it, in my case that is slim.

kill [processid]

Then run sgfxi

I don't recall having to copy the xorg.conf in, but my memory is suspect, LOL.

After sgfxi is done, I run slim which starts up X again, or I guess you could do a shutdown and reboot.

I have many nvidia carded machines but haven't worked with that particular card or that particular driver, so won't comment further.
Silent Observer
I've used sgfxi previously to install the nVidia drivers for MEPIS, but I'm running antiX at 1280x1024 on my Athlon XP system (nVidia FX5200 video hardware) without installing any drivers. Can I just return to"default" instead of"vesa" without reinstalling? Or, if I do have to use the nVidia drivers to get full resolution, can I use the"3" cheat code to get a start to command line login as I would in MEPIS?

Edit to add: also, when I start antiX from the USB key, and select vesa from f5 menu, I get 1280x1024... __{{emoticon}}__
BitJam
In VirtualBox I can routinely get the vesa driver to give me 1600x1200.
BitJam
Silent Observer wrote: can I use the"3" cheat code to get a start to command line login as I would in MEPIS?
Yes.
when I start antiX from the USB key, and select vesa from f5 menu, I get 1280x1024... __{{emoticon}}__
This creates a / etc/X11/xorg.conf file for you. If you can copy this file to your installed system then the installed system should work too. If you can mount the installed partition while running the LiveUSB then copying is trivial. Otherwise you could copy it to the /live/boot-dev/ directory and then it will be available when you mount the LiveUSB while running the installed system.
Dave
If you do have an xorg.conf from the above option and you had the higher resolution before.... then I would try adding a mode line to the xorg.conf specifying the desired resolution
Silent Observer
Let me try pulling the xorg.conf from the other antiX system (easier to get to); if that doesn't work, I'll grab the one off the live USB. I'll post back with the result.
Silent Observer
Hmm. There are two xorg.conf.* files in etc/X11; one is xorg.conf.in and the other xorg.conf.live. The files of same name appear the same between the Athlon XP (32-bit) and my Core2Quad machine (64-bit); most especially, the only line I see that starts with"Mode" is identical in both of the *.in (which I presume to be for"installed") files.
Eino
Hmm, Mine changes resolution between monitors being used.
If I boot up with my 32" LCD flat screen I get 1280x1024
If I boot up with the old 18" compaq 7500 monitor I get 1024x768
I'm currently using the old compaq screen.

inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA C51 [GeForce 6150 LE]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.12.4 driver: nvidia
           Resolution: 1024x768@85.0hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 6150 LE/integrated/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.119
I did not get good results before, the correct driver installation.
I'm not an expert with the Xorg server configuration, Just lucky I guess.
Silent Observer
Okay, I found etc/X11 on the Live USB contained xorg.conf (in addition to xorg.conf.in) -- I copied both of those files to the installed folder in the same location, and restarted -- now I've got 1600x1200, which I didn't know this monitor could display (it must be interpolating; I understood a Samsung Syncmaster 191T could only do 1280x1024). I can use the Control Centre, Session, Set Screen Resolution to change it to 1280x1024, but doing that pushes Conky off the visible screen. I don't see at all how those files are setting this resolution (or what I had before); the Mode lines in all three I've looked at were the same, and there isn't even a Mode line present in xorg.conf (without the .in or .live at the end).
Silent Observer
Okay, I found understandable documentation on how to set up the screen resolution in xorg.conf, and I'm now getting automatic startup in 1280x1024. Here's what my etc/X11/xorg.conf winds up looking like (much simpler than the one for my MEPIS installation, with all its nVidia specific stuff). I could add additional Modes if there were an accessible method other than using xrandr (which just sets a viewport in the upper left) to change between them within a session; my video card (like most) supports a bunch of different resolution and color depth options.

Section"Monitor"
    Identifier"Monitor0"
    VendorName    "Unknown"
    ModelName     "Samsung SyncMaster"
    Option"DPMS""true"
    HorizSync    30-75
    VertRefresh  55-70 
EndSection

Section"Device"
    Identifier"Device0"
    Driver    "vesa"