How is your antiX doing?

TLeeNorris
JawsThemeSwimming428 wrote:Very nice ToeCutter! How is it working? Is it still pretty quick?
Hello Jaws .. quick... well KDE isn't as lite as Fluxbox.. and I wasn't aiming for a Lite version, just an advanced KDE desktop that is as nice as Mepis, but better, faster, stronger.. like the Six Million Dollar Man. lol
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Katawin are you working as an English language teacher in Evia, Greece?
I'm one in Thessaloniki. __{{emoticon}}__
Xenos Katawin
Anticapitalista,

Yes I am an English teacher though not by training. We moved here 15 years ago and my English skills are much more in demand than my skills as a chemist.

I also do stints twice a year evaluating Edexcel oral exams in Lamia.

Where abouts in Thessaloniki? I have spent some time in Hortiati.

Katawin
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Katawin

I live in 40 Ekklisies in Thessaloniki.

I used to do the Cambridge Oral Exams for many years, but I think they blacklisted me (and others) because we set up a Union and we campaigned to get (and we won, at first) improvements in pay and conditions.

Which part of Evia do you live in?

I have been to Orei in the North, but that was a very long time ago.
Xenos Katawin
Anticapitalista

I'm in Psachna about 15 minutes north of Chalkida. It's in Dimos Messapion, Each summer we spend a good bit of time camping on the beach in Ag. Anna or Basillika. It is nice because only the local folks show up during the summer months. I try to avoid the tourist crowds.

We don't send students to the Cambridge exams anymore. A few years ago we had two really bad experiences with the British council and our complaints to the BC and Crambridge went unanswered. There seems to have been a change of guard because lately they are trying to woo us back. Too little too late though.

I'm writing from Skiathos today. I am taking a 3 day mini-vacation. The hotel has internet access at 200kbs and I am busy updating my laptop.

Katawin
oldlongbeard
Hi Anti, and the gang! I have this ol laptop loaded with 7.0 LYsistrata, and she is running SWEETLY! I've been making small tweaks, like adding Wicd (Works perfectly), and I now use VLC media player. I've tricked out my Conky to give me more battery info, as well as wireless signal strength, SSID, and more. I just never use that other OS that is residing on a separate partition. Might just run Gparted, and give myself the balance of it!! Thanks again, Anti. I just love this little laptop now!!
Regards,
Greg in Western Michigan
vincegggg
Hello

just used Antix for a few weeks.

I have the latest version as of now.

The good thing about antix is the compact style...the small download and very quik install time....

These types of distros are good because you can get things going quikly...and learn quikly...

larger distro's do not appeal to me for the reason of how tediuos it can become to get the files and do installs..

a new person to Linux would be far better off with a distro like Antix...

I also like the fact that Antix is debian compliant....it's supported well and it is easy to use...

Antix is also uncluttered....it appears minimal in both use and deployment....

Most things seam to work well.....synaptic installed works well....and installing DEB packages is easy...

i discovered the solution to a niggling problem on my Antix laptop.....the hard drive would"CLUNK" every 10 seconds...a very annoying sound...

This forum solved my HDD noise problem by telling me to turn OFF the acpi feature...this worked.

All in all Antix is pleasing me...it is simple and quik to use and has not given me any problems so far....

There are many distro's that take a similar approach to Antix but i like the fact that Antix is well supported and is linked with MEPIS....

thanks for the free distro....thanks a lot

Vince.