rokytnji
I was looking to upgrade My Iceweasel Browser from 3.0.14 and did some googling. While searching Sidux forums. I saw some one mention Icecat which perked my ears up like a dog hearing a cats meow. So after seeing Icecat was at 3.5.3. And I have installed Firefox 3.5 before in AntiX. I thought what the heck. What have I got to l lose.

So off I go to
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/"
linktext was:"http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
Then I skip over to
url was:"ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/3.5.3/"
linktext was:"ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/3.5.3/"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
I download for me
url was:"ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/3.5.3/ic"
linktext was:"ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/3.5.3/ic"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false ... 86.tar.bz2
To my /home folder
Right click to extract. Right click and delete icecat-3.5.3-x86.tar.bz2 when done. Now I have a Icecat 3.5.3 folder in home.
I right click the folder. I pick rename from drop down menu. I rename it icecat for simplicities sake.

I close file manager. I open a Terminal. I type in

Code: Select all

~/icecat/icecat
enter
Icecat opens up and my test is done as far as checking to make sure every thin works.I close Icecat. And move on to making Launchers for Icewm Desktop.

Next I type in

sux
type in password and hit enter
Next I type in

pcmanfm
Hit enter. PCMaN file manager is now open n root user mode.

I go to my icecat folder in /home. Right click, select cut
I maneuver to /opt Folder and open it and right click and select paste.
I close PCMaN file manager when done.
I type exit in terminal. Hit enter. Type exit again. Hit enter. Terminal is now closed.

Next I open Control Center. I select Edit Icewm settings
I pick the menu tab and below is my entry I made for the menu under Iceweasels entry on the menu.
prog"Icecat 3.5" /opt/icecat/icons/mozicon128.png /opt/icecat/icecat
Then I picked the toolbar tab and inserted the same entry in toolbar under # Place your personal variant in $HOME/.icewm directory.Close everything. Right click on desktop and select Logout>restart icewm. Bada Boom. I now have Launchers for Icewm Desktop. I haven't yet added a launcher yet in fluxbox as of this poat. I will reply to it after I do so . Just foing this for reference and stuff. If it merits being put in Wiki. Fine and Dandy with me. Happy Trails, Rok
banshee
i tried your how-to and had no problems. thanks a lot.
(only thing i couldnt figure out is how to run icecat from a command-prompt or to add a launcher to my i-box, its on e17. I had to use xterm to launch it )
secipolla
To run from a command prompt maybe you could just link opt/icecat/icecat to usr/bin or ~/bin ?
banshee
secipolla wrote:To run from a command prompt maybe you could just link opt/icecat/icecat to usr/bin or ~/bin ?
i will try that later, atm im in another OS. As i dont know much bout linking (not much =nothing __{{emoticon}}__ ): from what i understand i got icecat in my home-folder and run an
icecat*/icecat to get it up. How would i add the link (if its under opt or in my home...)? For example like this:
ln -s /home/banshe/icecat*/icecat /usr/bin
? thanks.

edit: you were right, i installed it on this system too and just tried this and that with ln:

# ln -s /opt/icecat/icecat /usr/bin
is what did it. thank you, good tip.
secipolla
Lol, you know much better than me, banshee.
You can symlink with rox: open two windows (as root) and drag the file and it'll offer to create a link (absolute or relative, which I don't know the difference - I use absolute). Just to mention, in nautilus you can link by dragging the file or folder while pressing <shift> key (or <Ctrl>, I'm not sure now).