gimmejimmy
My Google, forum, and manual search skills seem to be failing me. How can I save sessions for the next boot? Thanks!
secipolla
I'm not sure but I think you should choose 'Hibernate' in the exit window.
gimmejimmy
My laptop battery doesn't charge anymore. I need the laptop to be plugged in for it to work. Would it be safe to choose"Hibernate" and then pull the plug?
secipolla
I have only a desktop, but as far as I know Hibernate does just that > save the session. The machine is powered down normally and when it boots up it should boot to the saved session. You could test it.
It's the Suspend entry that loads the session to RAM. This one shouldn't work if the laptop is unplugged.
okiipapasan
Suspend may work, but if it does there will be a small drain on your battery because the session is saved to RAM. Hibernate saves it to the hard disk, so you could even pull your battery out and restore your session if your laptop supports Suspend/Hibernate.

Run"cat /sys/power/state" to see what your laptop supports. mem = suspend, disk =hibernate
gimmejimmy
The output is"mem disk" but clicking"Hibernate" gets no response. I can't use suspend since the laptop won't work at all if not plugged in. (My last post wasn't clear, sorry.)
okiipapasan
Open a terminal and type

antixhibernate.sh

If it hibernates, which I think it might, then it is a problem associated with the shutdown GUI, I believe, which is where you'll need one of he other helpful individuals to assist you because I am just now trying to learn all this myself.
gimmejimmy
I get:
method return sender=:1.2 -> dest=:1.11 reply_serial=2
int32 0
Thanks.
okiipapasan
I get a similar message in the terminal when I return from hibernate.

method return sender=:1.1 -> dest=:1.77 reply_serial=2
int32 0

You're getting this without actually going into hibernate?
gimmejimmy
Yes, it sits there for a while, then shows that message.
okiipapasan
I just went through some of your old posts and noticed your running with acpi=off. Looking up APM stuff now and will reply later.
gimmejimmy
Thanks! I really appreciate it. Haven't really had time for this old laptop. Now I use it at work so I have to make time.
okiipapasan
Okay. I guess I made this alot more difficult than I had to. Add apm=on to your menu.lst and try. Debian kernels still have built in APM support, but it is disabled by default in favor of ACPI. I would also suggest rebooting and going into your BIOS settings and making sure that if there is an option to enable/disable APM/ACPI it is set to on.
gimmejimmy
okiipapasan wrote:I just went through some of your old posts and noticed your running with acpi=off. Looking up APM stuff now and will reply later.
Is that in menu.lst, or is it somewhere else? I don't think I made the acpi=off permanent. In any case it's not in menu.lst so I might have it running.
On a side note, I am also trying to get the laptop LCD and a projector simultaneously working. Pressing Fn+F5 (the shortcut to handle video output) does nothing but acpi_listen in the terminal reports

Code: Select all

video VGA 00000080 00000000
So does that mean acpi is enabled?
gimmejimmy
Isn't there a way for IceWM to just remember what I was doing the last time without resorting to suspend or hibernate?