jhsu
I was able to get an old Dell Dimension L466cx desktop computer to boot up properly by simply not pressing anything.

I was able to get antiX to install. Unfortunately, the system refused to install GRUB, I selected MBR or root. I know that I'm supposed to reinstall GRUB, but I cannot find the GRUB installation program in the menu. Going to the command line and typing a"grub-install /dev/hda1" didn't help.

So how was I supposed to get GRUB to install during the antiX installation? How am supposed to reinstall GRUB when there's no option in the menus and the command line grub-install command refuses to work?

Unfortunately, I don't have time to think about this now, as I have work to do on this computer. Post your replies here, and I'll get back to installing antiX later. For now, I'm installing Puppy Linux 4.10 on this computer.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Use the livecd to reinstall grub from msystem in antiX control centre or type
sux
root password
msystem

You probably need a swap partition if you have 128MB RAM or less.
secipolla
At installation time, select to install GRUB to MBR (it is set like that as default).

If you need to reinstall/repair GRUB you can do it from msystem which is in 'System' tab in Control Center under a name like 'System Management' or something alike. It has a tab to repair the installation and has the option to reinstall GRUB.