thriftee
There are files that are links that make it not work. I was trying to use mc to copy the folder.

The link files have an l in first byte of permissions output, and get errors if I try to copy them. I can't figure out how to copy the theme as a result. I don't understand how to work with it or change it to get rid of the links.

PS: I found out that these are symbolic links, and can cross filesystems, and the file being linked to doesn't actually need to exist. That looks like a recipe for a mess to me, because that is exactly what has happened.

Still not sure how to go about fixing it.
BitJam
Try using"cp -rL source/ destination" which will dereference symbolic links. This means instead of copying the link it copies over what the link points to. This will probably solve your problem.

If that doesn't work, can you tell us the location of the directory you are trying to copy and perhaps where you are trying to copy it to? There is probably an easy solution but we need to know what you are trying to do.
thriftee
Thanks, that worked. I suppose it was created with the idea it would save disk space, but it should be referencing things that will ALWAYS be there, IMO.