SamK
thriftee wrote:Its a work PC and its a Windows shop, so I'm probably not supposed to be running Linux on it or messing with it , but as long as what I do is all on the USB, I think it will be fine.
You might be putting yourself at risk. If the system belongs to your employer there may be a regulation that disallows the use of any unauthorised software being used on their equipment (or site) irrespective of what it is run from. It is often the case that an employer has an acceptable use policy which covers it that is monitored/policed by an IT department or similar.
thriftee
Yes, I should check that as I'm in IT and it wouldn't look good if I were doing something I'm not allowed to. They didn't seem to mind the time I used my home PC's to fix a mess for them one time, or with me downloading a free program to do FTP, but they are paranoid about what connects to the network.

I wasn't able to find antix2usb, and uunetbootin doesn't show my flashdrive as an option, so I finally burned a CD to load the antiX from, which I hate doing unless its for a released version. My 8.5 and 13.2 CD's are probably the most used CD's of all the ones I ever made.

I looked at the policy, and it allows me to use it for personal communications, but it looks like I shouldn't use it. The only big problem is when travelling, when needing to carry 2 laptops is a pain.
thriftee
Ok guys, I'm goofed and need help.

I burned the antix16 386 to a CD. It booted just fine. I used gparted from terminal to partition my flashdrive with 10 gb of FAT32, 4 gb of swap, and the rest EXT4. I then ran the install and installed to the flashdrive. I put the master boot onto the flashdrive too. At the end it rebooted, but when I go to control center it has no"live" option, and no persistance stuff.

What did I do wrong and how do I get it right?

Thanks for any info...
Dave
Maybe a video from D.O. will help?

^---- embedded YouTube-hosted video: https://www.youtube.com/il_oZt4AY-E

It is for antiX13 but should work with the newest. I would recommend using the live cd to make the live usb as there was a issue with the differing versions of ext linux. Using the live cd to write the same version of the iso to the usb that"differing version" issue should no longer be an issue.
thriftee
Great suggestion. I wouldn't have thought a 13 video would be applicable, but it was fine.. I was able to get it to run from terminal.l from /usr/local//bin. I'm testing to see if the network config and programs installed are persistent or not.
thriftee
Well, it looked like it spent time saving, but when it rebooted, all the changes were gone. Do I need to do something special before rebooting or on the reboot? Where can I find the files it saved?

Do I need to manually select persistence again on the reboot?

Yup, that was it. I need to manually select it again on each boot.
Last edited by thriftee on 27 Jun 2016, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Yes select persistence again, then use the f key to save the boot options
thriftee
Well, the big thing is that it does actually work! Thanks for the help.