mikegreen
Hi Anticapitalista and everyone! Hope you are all well!

I've been using Ubuntu on my Acer Aspire 5630 laptop for about two years. A friend gave me an old Compaq pc with 256MB of ram and I downloaded and installed Antix on it a couple of days ago. All I can say is WOW!!! This OS is simply superb - even on that old machine it is fast, incredibly stable and great fun to use. And straight away I spotted that I had Streamtuner with XMMS which means I have Shoutcast streams back again. This is something Ubuntu had done away with (XMMS no longer appears to be installable) and I was very annoyed about that. So I have now replaced Ubuntu with Antix on my laptop as well and it is flying. I'm sitting here with five programs running and Conky shows CPU 4% and Ram 11%, about 30 per cent of what I would have seen under Ubuntu. Thank you so much for such a wonderful OS Anticapitalista and everyone else involved!!!

I have just a couple of minor queries and would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction please:

1. My wallpapers (and other images) are very pixellated. I suspect it is because Antix is using too low a color depth and I'm not sure how to change it. My xorg.conf shows"DefaultColorDepth 16" for my screen / card. Is this where I change it? I did try changing it to"32" but X wouldn't start when I rebooted.

2. Also both my machines seem to go to auto standby after five / ten minutes or so - the screen goes dark and any music or streams stop playing. I can't see how to stop that.

Apart from those minor issues I can see Antix staying on my laptop for good. It will definitely be staying on the old Compaq. Thanks again to all, and sorry for my stupidity. You'd think after using Linux for two years I would know more __{{emoticon}}__

Very best regards,
mike.
eriefisher
What video chip is in the machine? You may just want to install the proper driver.
mikegreen
Hi eriefisher, many thanks for the reply. It's an Intel 945GM. Should I need a proprietry driver for that? Sorry, I'm just realising that Ubuntu taught me nothing LOL.