Site Admin
Yes.
plvera
Well, I managed to hose my desktop.

Here's the sequence of events (or as close as I can recall them):

1) I wanted to upgrade antix8 to 8.2.
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
2) Noticed errors with mepis-init. Ran antix script (posted earlier in the forum)
3) repeated #1 again
4) tried the upgrader3 script but that did not work (a separate problem, I think)
5) rebooted
6) slim was hosed; startx worked but horrible resolution
7) reinstalled slim; slim worked fine
__{{emoticon}}__ tried to fix resolution using CC
9) both slim and xserver NOT working
10) installed different video drivers (using smxi). This not only did not fix the resolution, but now I can't even get a cli when I reboot.

I'd like to get the desktop back up and running, but it would not be a disaster if I had to do a clean install.

However, there are other boxes I want to upgrade to 8.2 and in at least one of them, I do not want to reinstall. So my question is how to avoid this?

Should I run the mepis-init script before doing the apt-get update, dist-upgrade? assuming that was the problem.

Thanks

Pedro
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You should run the script and not to apt-get dist-upgrade. It is in the script.

To try and get the otherone working, can you boot to init 3?
mariel77
anticapitalista wrote:You should run the script and not to apt-get dist-upgrade. It is in the script.
I was wondering about that. I should have stuck with it, I guess, but it ran for over 4 hours on a fairly fast connection.
antiX 8.2 is installed and working beautifully now.
masinick
The upgrade worked perfectly for me; I tried it on an old system and a new one; worked on both.
The script spits out a few misleading messages, but it does work fine and results in an up to date system.
plvera
I tried upgrading an old laptop and I ran into problems again. I think I figured out what I am doing wrong.

My sequence of events again is:
1)run mepis-init script (to get rid of mepis-init)
2)apt-get update
3)apt-get dist-upgrade
4)run antix-upgrader3.sh

this is where it runs into trouble and I get the following error (and the script stops):

antiX-upgrader3.sh: line 198: `meta-installer_install': not a valid identif

I checked the script and it's stopping when it's trying to install meta-installer. So, here's what I think I'm doing wrong:

1) I should NOT do steps 1-3 above. I was a little confused by an earlier post, but I think Anti meant to run dist-upgrade just to get an idea of how long it would take, not really that I should RUN dist-upgrade. The upgrade script takes care of removing mepis-init, and doing the dist-upgrade.

I would like a confirmation of this before trying it on a computer that I really wanted to preserve through the upgrade. I guess I probably just messed up the laptop too, just like the desktop.

thanks.

Pedro
masinick
Yes, Pedro, grab antix-upgrader3.sh, save it, chmod +x antix-upgrader3.sh, then su, then run ./antix-upgrader3.sh, assuming you are in the same location where you saved it. You may get a few strange messages, some which even suggest that something is not working, but keep at it and say y any time you are prompted. The only thing to do before you start this is to select a local Debian mirror. For me, I use debian.lcs.mit.edu, which is on the US Northeast coast, not too far from me and that works best for me. Select your best mirror site for the repositories, then grab this script, apply the correct access as mentioned above, and let it rip, then it will work correctly.

Hope that helps you out, and good luck with it! Have fun!
plvera
Brian:
thanks for the info. It was just me being stupid. I forgot about the ./ and so the script was not running. It ran in both machines, my old laptop and my desktop which is booting up from cli. My laptop seems to be ok. I just need to get xorg working in my desktop.

thanks again.
Pedro
jjm
So, I tried running this script and I got some disturbing errors.

I posted on the MepisLovers -> AntiX forum.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22419"
linktext was:"http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22419"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Any help is much appreciated.

Jeff

NOTE: issue was resolved. Thanks Anti.