topic title: Happy New Year!
plvera
Greetings all:

I just wanted to wish everyone a very happy New Year!

Best regards,

Pedro
masinick
Happy New Year, Pedro, and a Happy New Year to all of my friends and to every visitor here!
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Happy New Year and Best wishes to you all.
dark-D
happy new year everyone! see ya next year! __{{emoticon}}__
mariel77
Happy New Year to you all!
eriefisher
Happy new year everyone. All the best to you in the new year.
malanrich
Happy New Year all...from (fairly) sunny and dry California.

(Okay, the economy is in the tank everywhere, so we should each brag about *something* we've got in our particular region)

I'll also offer a resolution: to learn more about antiX. I must be the most *consistent* lurker on the board. I love reading through all the posts even though most of the topics are beyond me. Strange. I started as the most un-tech user you can imagine but got hooked on following the development of antiX/Mepis. We need a term for this kind of user (who's been using Linux for years now and is not really a noob but is otherwise not into technology and watches from the sidelines). Jon DuQuesne got me started with Roblimo's book over at Mepis.org.

But this year I'm going to try harder to get under the hood...
masinick
malanrich wrote:Happy New Year all...from (fairly) sunny and dry California.

(Okay, the economy is in the tank everywhere, so we should each brag about *something* we've got in our particular region)

I'll also offer a resolution: to learn more about antiX. I must be the most *consistent* lurker on the board. I love reading through all the posts even though most of the topics are beyond me. Strange. I started as the most un-tech user you can imagine but got hooked on following the development of antiX/Mepis. We need a term for this kind of user (who's been using Linux for years now and is not really a noob but is otherwise not into technology and watches from the sidelines). Jon DuQuesne got me started with Roblimo's book over at Mepis.org.

But this year I'm going to try harder to get under the hood...
That is awesome! Some of us cut our wisdom teeth on UNIX way back when - I first learned it in 1982 when there was no command history in the original AT&T Bell Labs Bourne Shell from the old Version 6 UNIX - before Version 7, which was widely used in University of California at Berkeley's Berkeley Standard Distribution, called BSD, and before UNIX System V. I learned from all of the above, so I learned the Bourne Shell, the C Shell from BSD, the Korn Shell from UNIX System V Release 2, and finally, the Bash shell that is used in GNU based systems, such as Linux today.

It is no wonder, then, that I have some background at that level. There are PLENTY of things that I do not know, but I do find it straightforward to learn what I do not know, simply from past experience. So if you have gained some experience, leverage it. If the experience is non technical, perhaps it is practical use knowledge - that has value too. In fact, we need people who can test our stuff that can help us with usability issues - for instance, would a novice have trouble with this or that?

I love your resolution! Happy New Year. If you need help with anything, just let us know.
malanrich
masinick wrote: So if you have gained some experience, leverage it. If the experience is non technical, perhaps it is practical use knowledge - that has value too. In fact, we need people who can test our stuff that can help us with usability issues - for instance, would a novice have trouble with this or that?
Well, I'm already adding to my resolution: I'm doing more to expose novices to the Mepis/antiX experience. It's simple. I know a little more about computers than most of my non-tech friends, so when I help them buy a new computer I ask to try out my Mepis/antiX live cd on their box...just for"data gathering" purposes (heh heh). But the upshot is getting them to see what Linux looks like when it's running. It demystifies. I've already had two skeptical people within the last month (with severe Windows-box trouble) express interest in going Linux.

Onward into the New Year.

(Maybe we should start a new poll on how many others we've introduced to Linux within the new year...)
masinick
malanrich wrote: (Maybe we should start a new poll on how many others we've introduced to Linux within the new year...)
Good idea! How about if you lead on this one and I will support you?

Happy New Year!
malanrich
masinick wrote:Good idea! How about if you lead on this one and I will support you?
Well, maybe it's time I gave up my status as prime lurker...