topic title: Grub Problem
Greyghost
I install Mepis form a Linux Format DVD. All went well but on reboot I just get GRUB on the screen and can get no further . Help __{{emoticon}}__

Greyghost
masinick
Greyghost wrote:I install Mepis form a Linux Format DVD. All went well but on reboot I just get GRUB on the screen and can get no further . Help __{{emoticon}}__

Greyghost
Was this antiX or was this SimplyMEPIS?

Are there any other operating systems on the same computer? Multiple partitions? Multiple disks?

Please tell us as much as you can about your configuration. Are you able to run the DVD live and get a visible desktop?

The more information we have, the more likely that one of us will know how to help you.
Also, if this relates to SimplyMEPIS, then
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://mepislovers.org/forums/index.php"
linktext was:"http://mepislovers.org/forums/index.php"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false may be a better place to ask questions, and it is probably more active than this forum, especially with respect to SimplyMEPIS. Hope that is helpful; please let us know about your setup and what happened in detail.
Greyghost
It was antiX it is version 8.2 according to the magazine. The setup is a Intel i386, 2 gig ram, 2 60 and 120 gig hard disks with Crunchbang Linux on the 60gig disk. The dvd will run and I can explore the disks. The only difference in the /boot/grub/menu.1st seems to be the that the Antix system calls gfxmenu/boot/grub/message. This file does not exist. I changed it to message1 which does exist and now the screen shows Grub Loading. Welcome to Grub! Entering rescue mode.....
and sits there.

Any help would be useful as I like the look and feel of this distro

Greyghost
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Post the menu.lst

Also, what does inxi -pl show?

When you installed antiX, did you install grub to mbr?
Greyghost
menu.lst as requested and yes I installed to MBR

timeout 15
color cyan/blue white/blue
foreground ffffff
background 0639a1

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message1

title antiX at hda1, kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/hda1 nomce quiet nosplash vga=791 resume=/dev/hda2
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-1-mepis-smp
boot

title CrunchBang, kernel 2.6.28-13-generic
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-13-generic root=UUID=f3a1d566-854d-4f9a-9cd7-d2eefad353f6 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-13-generic

title MEMTEST
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

Regards
Greyghost
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Make sure you have a backup of your menu.lst.

As root
update-grub

and there should be a Debian option added for where antiX is installed and its uuid number.
Either try to boot with the new menu the debian at hda1 option or change root=/dev/hda1 to root=UUID=number for hda1

You might get it to work if you change root=/dev/hda1 to root=/dev/sda1, but using uuid is better