geo3geo
I think this is a common problem, but reading the forum, none of the comments seem to help.

Basically I have a dual boot system, antiX + Win7 but can't select the Win7 OS in Grub because the usb keyboard arrows don't work. However I can enter the Bios and the arrows work, so if the Bios sees them why not Grub? I tried booting off a SuperGrub2 CD and have the same problem, no keyboard arrows. Keyboard ok in antiX.
I extended the startup delay to give more time to try things and then regenerated the Grub loader with
update-grub but no joy.

The system used to work fine and a few weeks ago it failed to load even the bios. I took it all to bits, reconnected everything, and it booted again, however with the keyboard issue.

Various things spring to mind:

Is there a way of booting into Win7 from antiX ?
I could change the boot order to boot into Win7 but then could I change it back again within Win7?
Is there something other than SuperGrub that I could boot into off CD to get at Win7?
Is it worth re-installing antiX?

Any sugestions appreciated.
fatmac
You say BIOS, so have you enabled legacy usb.
(I think that's what it's called, I've not had to do that in a long time.)
skidoo
Have you tried plugging the keyboard into different usb port?
Have you tested using a different keyboard?

Have you revisited BIOS setup screen(s) and waded through all the details to ensure all is correct?
When you disassembled the machine, the BIOS settings may have become reset to"factory default"
("factory" might not be same"as configured" when shipped from OEM/retailer)

ONLY the arrow keys are affected? You are able to press"Enter" and proceed with booting the default grub entry?

When the up/down arrow keys are not recognized, you might be able to use numpad keys"8" and"2" instead.
(if first try of the numpad keys fails, toggle NumLock and retry)
geo3geo
Many thanks Skidoo for the suggestions.
I'd already been through all of them except a different keyboard.
Found an old round plug type (ie non-usb) and this works!
Still surprised that the Bios recognises the usb keyboard but not Grub. I thought part of the point of the Bios was to provide very basic hardware interfaces. Grub must go in at a very low level, bypassing the Bios (?)

Anyway, I have my dual boot system back!