3guesses
I have a number of Linux distros installed on separate logical partitions on my laptop. When I start GParted (v 0.12.1) it tries to mount several of them before I've done anything. I've not had this behaviour on any of the other distros (I need to check the version of GParted each of them is running) so I don't understand why this is happening?

(I am running antiX 14.2-MX with all current updates applied).

3g
BitJam
This is a problem with Thunar. We have not found a solution. It doesn't alway happen. It is a big pain.
BitJam

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2107180"
linktext was:"This post"
====================================
explains the problem and has an easy fix.
3guesses
BitJam wrote:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2107180"
linktext was:"This post"
====================================
explains the problem and has an easy fix.
Thanks BitJam. Yes, that does solve the problem in GParted, but then also has the effect that removable volumes (eg. USB memory stick) do not open automatically when connected. Surely you shouldn't have to trade off one for the other?

3g
jdmeaux1952
Thanks BitJam. That solved my little problem, too.
BitJam
3guesses wrote:Thanks BitJam. Yes, that does solve the problem in GParted, but then also has the effect that removable volumes (eg. USB memory stick) do not open automatically when connected. Surely you shouldn't have to trade off one for the other?
The thread I linked to contained an explanation:
The problem is that gparted briefly tries to mount every drive in order to measure percentage used. Thunar is detecting this and preventing gparted from un-mounting them again.
ISTM you would need to talk with the gparted devs and see if they have an alternative to mounting drives to get information about the file systems but I don't think it is possible.

The only solution I can think of is to create a wrapper around gparted to turn off this feature in thunar, (if it was enabled) before running gparted and then turning it back on again after leaving gparted if it was originally enabled.

You could try created a script called"gparted" in /usr/local/bin:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

xfconf-query --channel thunar-volman --property /automount-drives/enabled --set false
gksudo gparted
xfconf-query --channel thunar-volman --property /automount-drives/enabled --set true
Then as root run:

Code: Select all

chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/gparted
If you call gparted without a leading path then this script should intercept the call and disable automounting before running gparted. Then it re-enables automounting after gparted exists.
3guesses

01 Nov 2014, 23:42 #7

Ooh, very sneaky! I can go and re-test, but I'm sure I don't get this sort of behaviour on other distros, so isn't it Thunar that's at fault rather than GParted?

3g