topic title: Google
malanrich
A couple of relevant passages about the change in forum policy:

"FreeForums.org is currently the only forum host to share revenue with the forum owners. We also plan to use this revenue to hire additional staff members and speed up the development of new features and services."

"For those profoundly against sponsors of any kind we have a no-ad option available. We will offer full ad-removal services starting at $4.95/month, which will remove all ads from your forum."

I don't have strong feelings about this either way (yet...). On the one hand, anti gets to make some $? On the other hand, it might be good, on principle, to eschew the intrusion of sponsored ads.

It's kind of ironic that FreeForums brags about how much traffic their forums have gotten...and then to complain about the new policies that this traffic"forces" them to implement.
malanrich
Another thought:

We could let the ads come through but all use Ad Blocker. That way anti could rake in the bucks and we could still be ad-free (unless FreeForums is policing these posts, in which case I've let the cat out of the bag...).
eriefisher
I just installed adblocker--google ads gone!

eriefisher

PS.-If this creates problems with Anticapitalista i will gladly enable them.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Use adblock to your hearts content.
I'm not very happy about FreeForums.org's change in policy to include ads and I am very sceptical as to how much of the generated income will go back to forum owners.
If there is a problem in blocking ads, then I'll simply find an alternative to host the forum.
impuwat
To be honest I never noticed the ads until eriefisher mentioned them. I guess I was relying on the built in"human software" adblocker....I think it's called"tunnel vision". __{{emoticon}}__