Maotaoying
__{{emoticon}}__ alas, it seems my problems continue. I live in China. In short it means...

crap media
crap hardware

My main computer died, no more HP every again for me... that's another story. I just am a very unsatisfied HP customer...

I have no burner/writer. I went and got a usb writer, a full sized one that goes in a desktop with it's own plug in power. It sucks... I can't write consistent iso.s they 'check' out, those that have their own media tests, but I have yet to get the 'same' behavior from an install...

Meanwhile, as I had been burning from my HP while it was working, alas it appears their burner is not up to snuff either...

so I am left with one choice to get a working install, is the process the same as for sidux? Or is there some difference... for example it appears it's intrid.gz instead of .img as it is in sidux.

What do I need to do to boot the iso from a parition... uh, I would just rather not even mess with Unitbuten or whatever that is...

Unless there is no other way... but I'm sure there is another way...

I am now doing the same thing with PClin so I can get a decent build at least for the students and then later wish to do the same so I can get a system that is stable I can work with here on this computer.

For example, now that I'm finding out due to some odd behavior on my attempts with the pclin remaster, that my HP writes/burns are not exactly 'ok', I find that it explains little quarks I've been having with the other linux Install I put here for myself and so I at least would like to get a stable system going for work at home purposes... and general work.

Of course, if I can't 'find' a decent dvd writer in China and this is a real possibility because it is just so much work and all the know here is winduds and they can't comprehend the concept of a compressed file system and it needing to be writtine at a speed of less than 6x and more like 2x etc. They use a lot just 'good' enough crap here and their attitude accepts this.

The banks provide no services pretty much for ordering online outside the country. So it's an amazing hassle all around to get any decent hardware and media.

SO I may be doing a lot of installs from various versions of iso booting from a partition...

To whcih now I have set aside a little partition to put iso's on and boot from...

Well, any help would be appreciated...

Oh and please by all means, those of you who have decent and good iso's burned to cd/dvd please tell me what brand writers you're using so I can look into getting something that works. Personally for msyelf, I prefer just burning it and going...

however, if I can get a handle on this whole boot form usb or partition, then it may be the way to go. Cause even with a good burner, the media over here is 2nd rate and it is really dificult to get good media...

That can handle a compressed iso...

Though for all I know, this optical drive could just be such crap it also can't read the iso's I've already burned well... it would be par for the course of my experience with China products in general. A few work, but it's hard to find what does and doesn't and I refer not only to computers and such...
Maotaoying
well, to get things started, I am guessing that like in sidux and pclin, I copy the iso over too the partition, in pclin, you actually just extract it, in sidux you copy the iso and copy over the vmlinuz file and the initrid file.

SO I'm guessing the same process with antiX. COPY the whole iso over and then the two files from out of the iso... (Can it be done by just extracting the whole iso? But then no clue what I'd put in grub? Is there a lazy persons tool for extracting iso or opening it so you can see the files to copy over.)

so what do I edit my grub to look like? This is my guess...

kernel (hdx,x)/boot/vmlinuz quiet nosplash vga=791 aufs fromiso=/antix/antix.iso (well the full name I rather think it's mepis)
initrd (hdx,x)/boot/initrd.gz

based on sidux...

kernel (hd0,4)/sidux/vmlinuz boot=fll quiet vga=791 fromiso=/sidux/sidux.iso
initrd (hd0,4)/sidux/initrd.img
banshee
unetbootin aint much of fiddling:
install unetbootin, start it, point it to the antiX-iso, point it to the usb-stick, click start/install whatever. then boot from the stick and install it.

the method you got in mind (via copy...) sounds more"pure". but i wouldnt know. lets wait...i`m keen on the answer too.

greetings
secipolla
soory mistake.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
It is (almost) the same as sidux. (no fll)
For example, on my box I have:

Code: Select all

title antiX-M8.2-liveiso
kernel (hd0,4)/antiX/vmlinuz vga=791 fromhd=/dev/sda5 fromiso=/antiX/antiX-M8.2.iso en xres=1024x768 aufs lean Xtralean drvr=vesa
initrd (hd0,4)/antiX/initrd.gz
boot
secipolla
There's
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://antix.mepis.com/index.php/Installation_Tips"
linktext was:"this"
====================================
how-to.
You should only change the names to the current ones.
Some file archiving tools like File Roller open iso files and also
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Environment/File-managers/ISO-Master-16676.shtml"
linktext was:"Isomaster"
====================================
anticapitalista
Site Admin
and mc (midnight commander)
Richard
My grub stanza looks like this on AA1 with Linuxmint7 connected to monitor, mouse and keyboard:

title antiX
kernel (hd0,5)/antiX/vmlinuz vga=792 fromhd=/dev/sda6 fromiso=/antiX/antiX-M8.2.iso es xres=1024x768
initrd (hd0,5)/antiX/initrd.gz
boot

A real fast boot.

PS: Krusader works great for working with virtual file systems, though it loads more Kde4 stuff than I prefer.