topic title: Flirting with vista
OU812
Well, I hate to admit it, but I really do like the look of vista. I found a very tasteful version of it at freshmeat. So I put this theme together and tried my best to turn it into a linux theme. Hope I did some good things with it.

john
masinick
The look of Vista is pretty good, I'd have to agree with you. It has a few interesting apps too. It is the long boot times, the amount of resource consumption, the inflexibility, and the overall expense of using, maintaining, and updating Vista that is really in question. I have Vista on a 2008 vintage Lenovo 3000 Model Y410 laptop with 2 GB of memory, a 1.66 GHz Duo Core processor, not sure about the video and other specs offhand, but let's just say it is a modern system, capable of handling Vista. Well, it does, and once Vista is totally up and running, it works pretty good. No glaring issues. However, startup, shutdown, updates - and perish the thought, Anti Virus updates anywhere near the same time as another system update can, at best, take a long time, and at worst, bring it to its knees.

In contrast, even several hundred updates to a Debian repository, download, installing, and configuring them, take less time and fewer resources, and unless you are using smxi, you can go about your day doing other things. Vista loses big in this space.

Lest we criticize Vista about everything, its desktop user interface in terms of appearance and basic function rates highly, very near the best you can get, and at least competitive, not something to criticize, but something that some will like and others won't, more for personal taste reasons than for functional reasons. Vista rates well in usability. but poorly in system admininstration tool performance.
briang
What file manager is that? roxfiler, xfe, pcmanfm??
OU812
The file manager is pcmanfm.

john
eriefisher
What is the xmms theme? Can you post a link or the package?
OU812
Later today, maybe. I think it's called xmms_wmp11. Judging by the name, I may have gotten it at gnome-look.

john