Ninho
At the risk of feeling stupid : though I've found my way thru Control panel to change the resolution of the GUI, it is not persisted after a shutdown.reboot __{{emoticon}}__

Where is desktop screen resolution fixed permanently, please ?
rokytnji
changing-the-screen-resolution-t6055.html

can-t-save-screen-resolution-t6611.html?mobile=desktop
Ninho
Hi Rokytnji ! According your second link, I applied Bitjam's method, basically, as root

Code: Select all

make-xorg-conf 1024x768 -o  etc/X11/xorg.conf 
After a full reboot, desktop resolution has changed from 1280xsmthing, to 800x600 __{{emoticon}}__
instead of the expected 1024x768 (this is a classic CRT w/ 4/3 aspect ratio).

To add insult to injury, now the screen layout applet under Control center does not offer any choice for resolutions other than the new 800x600 !

So, WTF ? Starting to understand why"ordinary" people stay with Microshaft ! __{{emoticon}}__

Edited, to add : from file xorg.conf , section Screen :
- original (saved) :

SubSection"Display"
        Modes"1280x1024""1333x768""1024x768""800x600"
    EndSubSection
- new (active) :

SubSection"Display"
        Modes"1024x768""800x600"
    EndSubSection
... but it does NOT start in 1024x768 nor offers a way to change to that resolution, although there is no physical impediment - it worked while the original xorg.conf was active. __{{emoticon}}__

So, WTF ? Starting to appreciate why so many"ordinary" users want to stay with Microshaft __{{emoticon}}__
Ninho
SOLVED ! Adding the kernel boot parameter"vga=791" in addition to the above suggested change to 'xorg.conf' which may or - probably not - have been necessary or useful) ... does cause AntiX to boot to the desired 1024x768x16 desktop. __{{emoticon}}__

I note that booting with 'mode=792' (which should yield 24 bits aka 16M colors)... does not work, more exactly, it does NOT start X. Expected ? Can't Antix work in hicolor modes ?

All in all, this is somewhat muddy : we are not impressed, as her majesty queen Victoria would've said. With other, older graphical Linux distros, I had no problems adjusting resolutions on this same hardware, some giving even more choices than Windows.Is AntiX well tested with SiS video cards ? Does it have the proper modules, or is using some generic ones ? (the VESA interface in most BIOSes is crap, doing hardly minimum duty - if that is what is used here, I understand it may lead to bad issues...
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Note the key word older graphical Linux distros.
Ninho
anticapitalista wrote:Note the key word older graphical Linux distros.
Keyword indeed ! Isn't newer always better (as"they" would have us believe) ?
I guess not __{{emoticon}}__
SamK
antiX makes use of Debian repos. When they dropped support for SIS in their stable repos, (about the release time of antiX-15) we continued to support it using a non Debian package. It has worked well for many antiX users. Without the alternative package there would be no support whatsoever for your hardware in our upto date distro. You would have had to sort everything out alone, or used the older possibly vulnerable Linux distros or old vulnerable Windows.

If you feel the SIS support is lacking in some way you might be best served by raising the matter upstream with either the maintainer of the alternative driver or with directly with Debian.
Ninho
SamK wrote: ...we continued to support it using a non Debian package. It has worked well for many antiX users. Without the alternative package there would be no support whatsoever for your hardware in our upto date distro. ...
If you feel the SIS support is lacking in some way you might be best served by raising the matter upstream with either the maintainer of the alternative driver or with directly with Debian.
Understood ! And appreciative of for your hard work! Well, the level of support for my SiS video is good enough - it was just a bit difficult to configure to my needs. As for complaining"upstream", assuming they maintainers would care, I don't feel qualified to provide them with the kindand intensity of reporting and debugging that they would undoubtably demand from this lone reporter ;=) I think