Here it is.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.itlure.com/2009/07/distro-hoppin-antix-mepis-82_26.html"
linktext was:"http://www.itlure.com/2009/07/distro-ho ... 82_26.html"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

What do you think?
plvera
I think it's a rather positive review. However, it's unfortunate that no time was spent exploring fluxbox. It makes it look like there's only 1 choice.
rokytnji
I tried to post a comment about how Antix has the choice of using 3 GUI Desktops. Fluxbox,Icewm,and Rox pinboard. I even explained a little on how to make and use icons on Rox Pinboard if the user prefers icon launched apps. But the comment reply box doesn't display properly for me for some reason even though I have a google blog account. So I sent the author a email regarding my comment (it was done as a favorable comment) and see if he posts it. All in all it was OK. I thought he didn't delve into how Antix is more full featured than other light distros though and gives the user more choice into how he wants his desktop environment to run. But then I shouldn't talk, because my blogs are crude to say the least.
DJiNN
Re: The display settings etc - I am kind of surprised that the reviewer didn't just add the desired res in xorg.conf. Simple, quick and usually works just fine. Maybe he's not aware of it? Not a bad review though, overall. I'd like to see a review from someone with more general Linux experience though. Jim over at desktoplinuxreviews (Not sure if that's the correct name) does a great job on his reviews, so hopefully he'll do a review of antix soon. __{{emoticon}}__
JawsThemeSwimming428
plvera wrote:I think it's a rather positive review. However, it's unfortunate that no time was spent exploring fluxbox. It makes it look like there's only 1 choice.

I agree, just read through it and I felt the same.
OU812
Very good, very positive review. The reviewer definitely put antix through it's paces. Of course he missed a few things in his excitement, but in this case that's a good thing. As mentioned he missed fluxbox. He also missed a third file manager: mc. (Can't fault him for that as mc takes a bit of work to find.) I'm surprised that he believes that icons can't be put on the desktop. I can forgive him for missing two such options - pcmanfm and rox, as these aren't obvious. However, there's an option in the control center for managing desktop icons; in fact, you can see it in one of the screenshots. But my guess is that the reviewer will spend some more time with antix and discover these wonderful things on his own.

As the author of the screenshot app, I'm aware of some it's limitations, but I had no idea how many things I missed. Unfortunately, I can't really fix any of them as I don't have the skills. I really wanted to use gsnapshot, but I couldn't get it to compile. I think using gnome or xfce screenshot tools is a good idea, but unfortunately would bring in too many depends. So, the screenshot app is as good as it gets ... for now.

Thanks for the link and thanks to author for a very upbeat review - you can really sense his enthusiasm.

john
antixph
Hi.

In relation to pressing F3 (while on LiveCD) to set the screen resolution... will this stick even after installation if the system uses Nvidia?

Thank you.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Yes it will.
Rebel
Positive review albeit rather brief. The reviewer should have downloaded XFCE if he/she was all that concerned about icons. That is what I did and XFCE rocks with Antix 8.2
masinick
I think part of the real hidden treasure in antiX is that there are so many ways to set up antiX and so many ways to use it. First of all, you can install the standard, full distribution, and you get a choice of two primary window managers, Fluxbox and IceWM. There are plenty of alternatives included when it comes to file management, setting up icons - or NOT setting up icons - on the visible display. But the options go a whole lot further than that. You have the"full" version, quickly mentioned above, you have the"base" version, from which you can customize your environment. You can run the software live - and you can either access the media each time an application needs to run, or you can, if you have enough memory, load the system entirely into RAM. You can run from CD, USB, other removable media, or install to disk.

You can extend the system in an infinite number of ways, starting with a great number of them with what is provided in the media, or you can go well beyond that, exercising the power of the Debian environment. AntiX sets you up well for that, too, having several of those repositories included in the package resource file in the /etc/apt directory.

It is possible to get a simpler distribution; flexibility, to some degree, adds a little to complexity. antiX, however, is a great blend of reasonable simplicity coupled with fantastic flexibility. For those who like tweaking their systems - such as adding or replacing the default window manager with a custom desktop (maybe fvwm-crystal, XFCE, or LXDE), you can do so readily.

With the great art work of Sakasa and others, the number of community members, who have added to the great ideas started by anticapitalista, the possibility to morph the work further is excellent. People in the MEPIS Lovers Forum, such as Danum (KDE 4), Marcos (LXDE and XFCE), and others, have already done many good things with MEPIS - and we know that antiX was one of the first (the first one approved for sure) to carry the MEPIS name. So we can credit some of that foundation to what Warren Woodford has done, and more to what the Debian founding fathers have done, but we also owe a debt of gratitude to anticapitalista and this community for ideas, testing, and implementation.

I have been noticing that not a lot of distributions have been coming out with updates in the past couple of months. We have had summer, but we've also had people like me out there looking for work. I am thankful that I can use such great software without having to invest more than my time and interest in it. I am most happy to promote and test antiX - this is a worthy community, and anticapitalista has been a great example for all of us.