anticapitalista
Site Admin
It is in Croat, but google translate gives a good enough idea.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.linuxzasve.com/antix-13-1-luddite-ne-unistavajmo-stari-hardver"
linktext was:"http://www.linuxzasve.com/antix-13-1-lu ... ri-hardver"
====================================
rokytnji
I was grinning at the comments. Pretty good review as he dug in a little bit.

People just worry too much in my view of life. One should just try something before making any judgments or worrying.
Mom always used to tell me."You won't know if you won't like it till you try it".

All in all a good write up with some detail to it.

Just for info. I used Quick Translate 1.0 Firefox addon which allows right click on page in Iceweasel to trnaslate the whole page.
I use the default English but it can be set for other languages.
cousinlucky
When will Antix 13 be available?? Can I run a apt-get upgrade in the terminal to get it?
cousinlucky
I liked that in Antix 13.1 I only had to put the name of my other operating system in the menu list. Now all I need is for someone to explain to me why the Gnome PPP will not connect me to the Internet!!
spaceman

url was:"http://vacillate.weebly.com/1/category/antix/1.html"
linktext was:"Distro of the Year 2013"

I'll spoil the surprise it's antiX Linux 13.1 Luddite Core. __{{emoticon}}__
dolphin_oracle
Nice write-up!
anticapitalista
Site Admin
spaceman - what dolphin said and a lot more!

I really like the fact that, despite you having problems getting wine to work in antiX (and you persevered with it), you still give us the big thumbs up. kudos to you.
spaceman
Heh, I blame myself mostly when I can't get things to work. However, with multiarch Debian seem to have gone their own way which will have knock on effects with other tech. I've often said we're 'lucky' nvidia bother with a Linux driver (especially when they get the finger off Torvalds) if it works that's a bonus. __{{emoticon}}__

Multiarch is still pretty new and I don't doubt it's implementation will improve. Eventually someone will take up packaging Wine again for Debian. Sometimes Wine and Debian multiarch just works the nvidia drivers. This makes me feel that ultimately it is me that's doing something wrong.

I tried Arch last week and I have to say even with it excellent and fast package management I still prefer antiX Core.

I hope you have the time and the inclination to keep up the good work, some of us love what you do. __{{emoticon}}__
masinick
spaceman wrote:
url was:"http://vacillate.weebly.com/1/category/antix/1.html"
linktext was:"Distro of the Year 2013"

I'll spoil the surprise it's antiX Linux 13.1 Luddite Core. __{{emoticon}}__
I wrote a few comments on this review, congratulating the team here for a GREAT JOB!
rokytnji
I wrote a few comments on this review,
Ditto, __{{emoticon}}__
masinick
rokytnji wrote:
I wrote a few comments on this review,
Ditto, __{{emoticon}}__
Where are your comments, Roky? Didn't see them when I checked the guy's blog; are they etched on a table somewhere, perhaps at a bike club or a local pub? (lol)

Anyway, at least within the past couple of years, you have probably tested antiX against more different system combinations than anyone else I can think of, so I am looking forward to reading your comments and thoughts, both your own, and your impressions of the article.

Way back in the recesses of some distantly maintained blog, I wrote a HOWTO on one possible setup of an early (prototype) antiX Core configuration; I set mine up with Xfce. I got the original idea from ErieFisher, whom I haven't heard from in quite some time. Back somewhere in the antiX 6-5-8 era, Erie put together a system, and I think it was before we had the three derivatives now. He cut out the window managers and other settings that were in the system of that day and created what HE liked.

Once a few people saw that, they started doing various other ones. I used to build mine up with IceWM instead of Fluxbox. Later I built a KDE variation during the time that Danum was doing the same, derived from MEPIS, but Xfce long held interest for me, so eventually I built a few of those, including one started from MEPIS and another one started from antiX. When anti started coming out with Base, then with Core, I started doing this more and more (and using MEPIS a bit less, though I definitely still keep it around as a good, solid, stable distro that works).

I know you have taken all kinds of interesting hardware, attached all kinds of different system kernels to it and evaluated what it can do, so I am sure that you have a lot of ideas.

By the way, one of my early ideas was to put smxi on Debian and on MEPIS. I was thrilled when Harold got it going on antiX and anti made it a part of the distro... just around the time that the sidux guys started getting antagonistic about what Harold was doing with his very useful tools. So that became a time when I cut back on sidux use and greatly increased my custom Debian Sid system that I built from a custom Debian Live CD, and another distro I built from antiX Core shortly thereafter. My tweaks have all been in software and they've all been patterned after stuff I used to do with Libranet in the 2001-2005 timeframe, modernized by newer software, but utilizing the same kind of tools approach that the old Libranet brought first to the Debian community more than a decade ago.
rokytnji
As usual. I screwed up and left my comment in the wrong writeup/link. I left my comment in Anti's original post in this thread instead of the spaceman
distro of the year.

My vision aint too good on a Friday night when on the computer and hanging with the boys drinking beer. I basically said Puppy Linux=no smxi,inxi,or sgfxi
after sitting there and translating one paragraph at a time of comments mentioning Puppy and Slitaz as viable alternatives. My comment was waiting for Moderation also.
I told them that I was a MacPup team member also and know Puppy pretty well.

url was:"http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1858"
linktext was:"http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1858"

besides a few other distros I have dicked around with. You know me Brian. Half Baked but a explorer non the less.

I mentioned Crunchbang falls short on ram usage and features and that Slitaz (that I have also played with) falls short on features compared
all in all with AntiX. Plus Slitaz in not too new user friendly compared to us. Plus how cool and friendly our forum is also.

You know. A Linux using Biker Beer drinking comment on a Friday night. If it does not past muster or moderation. Par for the
course for me. __{{emoticon}}__

Oh yeah, in my rambling manifesto I wrote up commenting on comments AntiX was ugly.
I threw in one of my R rated Biker screenshots of fluxbox with LXPanels with fancy conky
and my 2 railroad honeys. I told them NO. AntiX aint ugly. You know.
Being my usual self. __{{emoticon}}__
masinick
rokytnji wrote:As usual. I screwed up and left my comment in the wrong writeup/link. I left my comment in Anti's original post in this thread instead of the spaceman
distro of the year.

My vision aint too good on a Friday night when on the computer and hanging with the boys drinking beer. I basically said Puppy Linux=no smxi,inxi,or sgfxi
after sitting there and translating one paragraph at a time of comments mentioning Puppy and Slitaz as viable alternatives. My comment was waiting for Moderation also.
I told them that I was a MacPup team member also and know Puppy pretty well.

url was:"http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1858"
linktext was:"http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1858"

besides a few other distros I have dicked around with. You know me Brian. Half Baked but a explorer non the less.

I mentioned Crunchbang falls short on ram usage and features and that Slitaz (that I have also played with) falls short on features compared
all in all with AntiX. Plus Slitaz in not too new user friendly compared to us. Plus how cool and friendly our forum is also.

You know. A Linux using Biker Beer drinking comment on a Friday night. If it does not past muster or moderation. Par for the
course for me. __{{emoticon}}__

Oh yeah, in my rambling manifesto I wrote up commenting on comments AntiX was ugly.
I threw in one of my R rated Biker screenshots of fluxbox with LXPanels with fancy conky
and my 2 railroad honeys. I told them NO. AntiX aint ugly. You know.
Being my usual self. __{{emoticon}}__
I didn't know that you are or were associated with Slitaz, but that doesn't surprise me because I know that you like to test and use software that works well on aging hardware (that's getting to be us, too, isn't it Roky?) __{{emoticon}}__

Around these parts, your biker and other enticing imagery does indeed show that antiX is NOT behind in any way, shape or form. We've had a few really good artists who have contributed to our art work over the years; it's among my favorite work; I think some of the waterfall work that I often use either came from one of our art work projects here, or I may have snagged it from Xfce, which I generally use here.

With children and other innocent eyes potentially viewing my art work from time to time, though I appreciate your art work, I"contain myself" and refrain from adding shapely photos to my collection; just would not want to surprise or embarrass anyone, and since I have that potential, I confine my viewing to here.

Friday nights out or not, I still think you are among the leaders when it comes to making a fair assessment of small systems. Were you around back at the time that John (ou812) was pretty active here? He did some outstanding integration work and was a great help to anti back at that time; I believe that anti has since picked up many of the techniques that John and others used himself; after all, he's been doing this now for what, seven or eight years? How time flies!

Me? I've never actually built a complete distro before, but when you consider what I have done, I've built multiple antiX Core systems. I've built a complete Debian Sid system from a custom Debian Live CD - a few years ago now, they used to allow you to specify which packages to include, so I NEARLY built that one myself. I've built Arch Linux systems and Gentoo Linux systems before (not particularly fond of them); I find them too time consuming and despite claims, I do not even find them to perform as well as antiX or Debian Sid, so that's a waste of my time.

I've built both UNIX and Linux kernels before. Two decades before we even had this forum, I bootstrapped some UNIX systems, helping to port code between a Digital (DEC) PDP-11/70 (large minicomputer) to a PDP-11/60, a newer generation large mini and a MicroPDP-11/73, a PC-sized minicomputer. Some guys we contracted wrote device drivers for the 60 and the 73. I grabbed the code and ported it. Bad news was we had to somehow create devices that worked across the platforms; that wasn't easy; the only device I had that was compatible contained - get this - 10 MB of data! Heck, MEMORY these days is often 10 GB, not 10 MB, and some disks are approaching terabyte size and big systems DO have multi terabyte drives. So having that little amount of resources created a challenge.

Needless to say, I was up to the challenge. So I don't need to"prove" what I could or couldn't build today. For me, it is a question of time, worthwhile efforts, and interest. I have none of either at this stage of my life. I'd rather put together a nice, fast system like antiX in fifteen minutes then use it to communicate with others. The rest of my time I use to spend with people I see and know, whereas, even here, though many of us"know" one another to some degree, rarely have any of us ever met in person. (I have actually met a few people elsewhere; I met MANY Debian people in real life back in 2002, but that was ONCE). I have a real life elsewhere, just as you do with the bikes, the"liquid libation" and other activities, but I digress.

Don't sell yourself short; you know what you are doing, and if anyone asks questions, you are one of a handful of people here who can answer them in a useful way. I've noticed, and I appreciate not only your skill, but your effectiveness in teaching people who are new to this game how it's played; that's important, Roky! So thank you very much for all that you do!
SaminBare
re: roky -- he does good in LF, as well!
masinick
SaminBare wrote:re: roky -- he does good in LF, as well!
Yes he does; I've found Roky to be helpful here and in multiple places; we have mutual respect for one another, that's for sure!
We seem to run into one another in forums that have frequent discussions about distributions that run well on alternative hardware - often refurb units and junk yard specials.