topic title: Finally!!
amos
Have finally managed to complete partitions for full install to the hard-drive. Suppose i will from now on when using the forums have to use the antiX-8.2 section lol. Thanks for all the help and patience.
secipolla
That's good! Since we didn't give you many instructions you already learned something __{{emoticon}}__

AntiX 8.2 will have a lot of updates. The best way to manage it is with smxi.

I think since there are so many updates that you may receive an apt cache error. To solve that (you can do it beforehand as well), run
gksu leafpad /etc/apt/apt.conf (you will be prompted for the root password)
and change to read APT::Cache-Limit 40000000;

To run smxi you must be out of the X (graphical) environment. Reboot (or boot) the system and in Grub's menu select to edit the boot command then add the number 3 at the end of the 'kernel' line (it will end with something like 'quiet nosplash 3'), and finally 'b' to boot.
It will boot to runlevel 3 (graphic is on runlevel 5) then you login as root, type smxi and follow the instructions (at the very end you will have the option to start desktop).

Since antiX has a blend of Debian testing repositories and Mepis repositories (which are made for Debian stable), the Mepis packages sometimes give errors in the update process (for me they have). I would disable them and remove some Mepis packages before updating but that may be somewhat complicated for you and maybe you can update without errors just the way it is. So any problems you encounter, post here and we will help.

As a tip, when you're at the console (runlevel 3) you can browse the Internet with Links2 browser, just type links2. It's really fine and you can check emails and post in the forum too. After you open it there's just a black screen, if you type g then the address bar pops up and if you press 'esc' the menu bar will show up.

And you can use up to six screens. Say you're running smxi in the first screen, then you can press Alt+F2 and open a second screen to browse the web with Links2 (you will have to login again and you may login with the normal user this time) and you can press Alt+F3 and browse the file system with Midnight Commander (command mc) etc. To return to the first screen press Alt+F1.
amos
Hi Secipolla, i really had to go for it in order to learn how to partition the hard drive because i had never done it before.

I have read your post and even copied it by hand so that i can learn all i can and not make any mistakes.

Would it be asking to much if i was to ask you how i should disable the Mepis packages before updating. I enjoy learning everything i can and would welcome the opportunity and challenge to learn even more.

All that now remains is for me to say a very big thanks for all the patience, and time you have so freely given in order to help a newbie like myself.
secipolla
If I'm patient it's because I'm too somewhat fresh with Linux and to understand things one must be patient and read whatever instructions are available (like with the 'man' - for manual - command).

To disable the Mepis repositories you can either do as I told you for enabling the Opera repository (only now uncheck instead of checking) or you can do it by hand:

Code: Select all

gksu leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list
and commenting (putting an # in front of) the mepis repositories lines. If you edit it by hand then you must run

apt-get update
to reload the package information.

Some packages that are already installed had some issues with the update process. For example, firmware-linux-free and firmware-linux-nonfree which are mainly wireless drivers. Maybe they have been fixed in the Mepis repository and they won't give any trouble. I have removed them but I think you need (at least firmware-linux-nonfree) because of your graphic card (if you want to see info for some package, type 'apt-cache search package').

If you have trouble with these packages during update you can enter the following command:

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-linux-free*.deb

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/firmware-linux-nonfree*.deb
More info
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post13769.html?hilit=firmware#p13769"
linktext was:"here"
====================================

Also Debian has evolved some things in this meanwhile and you may want to do the following before updating too:
anticapitalista wrote:To add about the lsb errors.
Following Debian Testing, the upgrade now wants users to use Dependency Based Boot via insserv (it is faster).
This happens automatically on upgrade, except it doesn't on antiX-M8.2 (and earlier) because of the lsb errors in ejecrcd and mepis-network.

Solution 1:
1. Remove /etc/init.d/ejecrcd file as root with the file manager and remove mepis-network (apt-get purge mepis-network)
2. In a rooot terminal dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc and choose yes.

Solution 2:
1. In /etc/init.d edit the ejecrcd file to look like this and rename in ejectcd. Same with mepis-network
2. In a rooot terminal dpkg-reconfigure sysv-rc and choose yes.

#!/bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          ejectcd
# Required-Start:    
# Required-Stop:     
# Default-Start:     
# Default-Stop:      
# Description: Starts ejectcd
# short-description: ejectcd
### END INIT INFO

# Try to cache everything we're likely to need after ejecting.  This
# is fragile and simple-minded, but our options are limited.
cache_path() {
    path="$1"

if [ -d"$path" ]; then
        find"$path" -type f | xargs cat > /dev/null 2>&1
    elif [ -f"$path" ]; then
        if [ -x"$path" ]; then
            if file"$path" | grep -q 'dynamically linked'; then
                for lib in $(ldd"$path" | awk '{ print $3 }'); do
                    cache_path"$lib"
                done
            fi
        fi
        cat"$path" >/dev/null 2>&1
    fi
}

# Do if running from CD
if [ -e /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev ]; then
case"$(cat /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev 2>/dev/null)" in 256|0x100) 
  for path in $(which halt) $(which reboot) /etc/rc?.d /etc/default; do
    cache_path"$path"
  done
  # just do it
  # this is only relavent when booted from CD
  # otherwise /cdrom never exists
  eject -p -m /cdrom >/dev/null 2>&1
  sleep 5
  ;;
esac
fi

exit 0

#!/bin/bash
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          mepis-network
# Required-Start:    
# Required-Stop:    
# Default-Start:     
# Default-Stop:      
# Description: Starts mepis-network configuration 
# short-description: mepis-network configuration
### END INIT INFO

PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin"
export PATH

umask 022

# Ignore these signals: INT, TERM, SEGV
trap"" 2 3 11

# No kernel messages while probing modules
echo"0" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

# Read in boot parameters
CMDLINE="$(cat /proc/cmdline)"

isbootparam(){
case"$CMDLINE" in *$1*) return 0;; esac
return 1
}
NDIS="yes"
if [ -f /etc/default/mepis-network ]; then
  . /etc/default/mepis-network
fi
if ["$NDIS" ="yes" ]; then
 if ! isbootparam"nonet"; then
  if ! isbootparam"nondis"; then
   modprobe ndiswrapper
  fi
 fi
fi
 # workaround: intel 536 driver has no module_device_table so it must be started manually
 /usr/bin/lspci | /bin/grep '536EP' >/dev/null 2>&1
 if [ $? = 0 ]; then
  /sbin/modprobe Intel536 >/dev/null 2>&1
 else
  # workaround: alsa sl modem needs setup delay before starting daemon
  # modem link will fail if another modem got it first
  /bin/lsmod | /bin/grep -e 'snd_intel8x0m' -e 'snd_via82xx_modem' -e 'snd_atiixp_modem' >/dev/null 2>&1
  if [ $? = 0 ]; then
   ln -s /dev/ttySL0 /dev/modem >/dev/null 2>&1
   /usr/sbin/slmodemd --alsa --country=USA >/dev/null 2>&1 &
  fi
 fi

echo"6" > /proc/sys/kernel/printk

# Re-enable signals
trap 2 3 11

exit 0