SilverBear
I couldn't load mepislovers.org or mepis.org for some reason, so this is the only post for now.

I fixed the internal link problems and made the wording changes you suggested, secipolla (ROX-related).

The latest versions as of Today's upload are here:
English:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://sblinux.org/antix/"
linktext was:"http://sblinux.org/antix/"
====================================

Portuguese:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://sblinux.org/antix-port/"
linktext was:"http://sblinux.org/antix-port/"
====================================

I'm seeing that the antiX logo doesn't load on the Port. version, so I'll correct the image tag and upload the revised html file in a few minutes.

--SB
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Thanks SB.

Same problem here with MEPIS site. I think it is because Warren is making some changes.
He told me that he was uploading a new kernel so antiX-M8.5 will be delayed a bit.
SilverBear
OK, got the image link fixed on the Portuguese version.
SilverBear
Thanks, anticapitalista.
secipolla
Thank you, SilverBear.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Thanks SB. Please send me the FAQs and the icon in a tarball so I can include in the (delayed) final.
SilverBear
The link to DL the tarball should be in your mailbox now.
I had a couple odd results in trying to tarball/gzip the files with the KDE4.3 Dolphin GUI (I'm in Mepis 8.5 right now), so I did it on the command line. Should be good, but let me know if there are any problems with it not unzipping.

I've been having a couple weird days with computers. . .Yesterday, for example, in the middle of a routine file writing operation the partition table of my 1 Terabyte data HDD just disappeared. __{{emoticon}}__

I'm waiting until Mercury is not in retrograde, or whatever is going on, before I even attempt to fix that one! __{{emoticon}}__
secipolla
PCManFM has a right-click option 'Compress'. I think it goes to .tar.gz.
masinick
Silverbear, it has been a while since I looked at the antiX documentation. You have done a great job in updating the documentation and including the new features, while in general keeping the document as straightforward as possible. Perhaps antiX is not, or should not be considered, a first time user's system. You have done a great job, however, making the system into something that anyone who has an inquisitive nature and the ability to read and follow instructions should have no trouble getting started with antiX, and of course, anti and his small (but excellent) team of helpers have done their usual great job of producing a reasonably easy, fast, and very flexible system that gives us a nice alternative to the simple and stable SimplyMEPIS.

I keep telling my friends who at least know how to install software to give antiX a try. I've gotten a few of them to come around. One in particular carries a USB instance of antiX with him when he travels, and he find it to be quite useful and helpful.

Thanks for all that everyone has done to make this the kind of system that I can recommend to others! I try to test and make suggestions from time to time so that we can reach these kinds of people, and to me, the results have been quite positive indeed!
SilverBear
Hi Brian,
I appreciate the praise, but it's Sergio Cipolla and Lee (Oldhoghead) who did all the real work updating the FAQ. I redesigned the document format to make navigation easier and more direct for the expanded content.

So give those guys the real credit. Especially Sergio --I really don't have any idea how many hours he's spent going over everything again --and again!-- trying to get everything accurate in view of all the changes since 7.5 --in English AND in Portuguese!

--SB
Last edited by SilverBear on 12 Apr 2010, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
rokytnji
I wouldn't be able to run AntiX if it wasn't for every bodies efforts in contributing to the documentation. It has pulled me out of a lot of self induced mistakes on my part. I thank all you guys, Silver Bear, OldHogsHead, and Secipolla.

I am not a advanced user of Linux by a long shot. But your guyses excellant documentation lately has made this bikers life so much easier. Thanks again.
masinick
SilverBear wrote:Hi Brian,
I appreciate the praise, bit it's Sergio Cipolla and Lee (Oldhoghead) who did all the real work updating the FAQ. I redesigned the document format to make navigation easier and more direct for the expanded content.

So give those guys the real credit. Especially Sergio --I really don't have any idea how many hours he's spent going over everything again and again, trying to get everything accurate in view of all the changes since 7.5 --in English AND in Portuguese!

--SB
Thanks, SilverBear! I know very well that in the SimplyMEPIS effort, for example, quite a few people contribute to the collective result, and still more help people out with questions. It is good to know who some of the contributers are - and I am sure that anti will single out at least a few people in the release comments. Sergio and Lee, I know that you guys consistently do a lot, so I most certainly do appreciate your efforts. I also appreciate others like John (ou812), Eriefisher, Sakasa, and I know that I am forgetting at least a half dozen others, but I trust that anti will give due credit, as will you and others. I appreciate that yes, a few specific people have done a lot of notable work, but there have been many others helping with suggestions, testing feedback, language translations, answering questions, user interface improvements, graphical images, documentation, and the list goes on. What a great community we have.

I have not had any recent issues with the image, but I am glad that anti is holding back to make sure that Warren's latest improvements become a part of the latest antiX release, and I thank those two gentlemen especially for their attention to quality and detail.