topic title: Fake Pae
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
Lubuntu have come up witth an idea to install modern software on older non-pae systems. It might be possible to adapt this system for antiX if you have older hardware __{{emoticon}}__

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE"
linktext was:"https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE"
====================================
dolphin_oracle
huh, what to do know! so some processors are capable, but they don't announce it with the PAE flag. nice heads up alanarchy.
Silent Observer
This is likely to be necessary for antiX 15, if not earlier, on my Pentium II (Mobile?) laptop. Anyone know whether the PII processor is one that has the unannounced PAE capability (or how I can definitively check without trying to install Lubuntu)? Never mattered before, on a system that can mount a maximum of 288 MiB RAM...

FWIW, this machine has run okay on 3.11.5 antiX kernel, and is now running on a wheezy-backports sourced 3.13.0-bpo.1-486 (tried the same source/type 3.14.0, wouldn't boot). Lack of PAE might be part of why I have trouble with kernels newer than 3.11.5 (I don't expect I'd get the message referenced in the link when trying to boot a kernel installed with Synaptic, as opposed to installing a complete OS with a Buntu installer).

Edit: okay, a little digging says the Pentium M 400 MHz bus version is the only Intel processor newer than the first Pentium II that didn't have PAE capability (my laptop reports as a Pentium II and is 300 MHz, so can't be that Pentium M version). Additionally, all AMD processors from the first Athlon version had PAE capacity. That should neatly cover all the machines in the house except possibly the 400 MHz Dell that came from the thrift store ($8, can't get even a"no operating system" message from it so far).
rokytnji

Code: Select all

$ inxi -f
CPU:       Single core Mobile Intel Pentium III - M (-UP-) cache: 512 KB
           clocked at 798 MHz
           CPU Flags: cmov cx8 de fpu fxsr mca mce mmx msr mtrr pae pge pse
           pse36 sep sse tsc vme
might cover
This is likely to be necessary for antiX 15, if not earlier, on my Pentium II (Mobile?) laptop. Anyone know whether the PII processor is one that has the unannounced PAE capability (or how I can definitively check without trying to install Lubuntu)? Never mattered before, on a system that can mount a maximum of 288 MiB RAM...
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
without trying to install Lubuntu
Yes, I was attempting to use Lubuntu at one time but"lean and mean" it ain't. I just spotted that cos I was searching for something.

antix leaves lubuntu spluttering in a trail of dust.
Silent Observer
Roky, mine is several years older than yours:

$ inxi -f
CPU:       Single core Celeron (Mendocino) (-UP-) cache: 128 KB clocked at 300.684 MHz 
           CPU Flags: cmov cx8 de fpu fxsr mca mce mmx msr mtrr pae pge pse pse36 sep tsc vme 
But apparently this processor does announce itself to have PAE, so a 686-pae kernel should work on it (not that even the most current i486 kernels actually do, but it's not lack of PAE doing it, it seems).
DeepDayze
What about Pentium M chips as used in the Thinkpad T42? My T42 I just rebuilt as it had hot tea spilled in it over the summer and just bought a Pentium M 765 chip for it (2.1GHz and 2MB L2 cache) so this old dog will still have some fight left in it.

EDIT: Oh found that the Banias series of Pentium M chips (as what is currently in my T42) does support PAE despite not announcing it so I could look into fooling the PAE kernel into booting __{{emoticon}}__
skidoo
Hello, mods? Not really a"news" thread. tips-n-tricks subforum maybe?
DeepDayze
OK I installed the Pentium M 765 chip I received a few days ago and it does not announce PAE:

$ inxi -f
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium M (-UP-) cache: 2048 KB
           speed/max: 1600/2100 MHz
           CPU Flags: acpi bts clflush cmov cx8 de dts est fpu fxsr mca mce
           mmx msr mtrr pbe pge pse sep ss sse sse2 tm tm2 tsc vme
rokytnji
But it has sse2 while mine does not. Palemoon browser now requires sse2 cpu to run its browser. Just info.
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
Hello, mods? Not really a"news" thread.
When I posted that it was red-hot news, Net_Kop! __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
You're not having a Happy New Year then?

As I remember, at the time I posted this, several people had been having trouble with pae-enabled kernesl, not only antix users, but Lubuntu users too. I happened to spot the Lubunto fix and posted it here as"News".

I clearly entitled it"Fake Pae", and if you had no pae problems you didn't need to read it. I didn't twist your arm and force you to read it.

Now you have a nice day Y'all!
dark-D
skidoo, dude i think you have OCD. __{{emoticon}}__ you are too anal about moving and cleaning stuff around.
i was away on business and i couldn't check the forum, i will read the threads and move them accordingly.
if you have other suggestions, post them. but remember not everyone is like you and they will not appreciate their post moved, split or deleted.
people tend to like freedom of expression over organization or authority, in antix more than elsewhere.