topic title: Editing toolbar
JawsThemeSwimming428
I began playing around with test2 and was trying to customize the toolbar. I don't use multiple desktops right now so I wanted to take the buttons off the toolbar. I edited the toolbar file and the preferences file to remove anything relating to multiple desktops. They are gone now, sort of. I have one button left and it says"0". I would like that gone as well but I am having trouble figuring out where it is. Attached is a screenshot. Any ideas?

I also would like that little mail icon in the bottom right next to the time gone. Didn't see where that was either.
eriefisher
In the IceWm preferences file you should see

Code: Select all

#  Show workspace switching buttons on task bar
TaskBarShowWorkspaces=1 # 0/1
Just comment it out. And the one for mail should be a couple of lines above it.
JawsThemeSwimming428
eriefisher wrote:In the IceWm preferences file you should see

TaskBarShowWorkspaces=1 # 0/1
Just comment it out. And the one for mail should be a couple of lines above it.
That's what I thought...here is the relevant portion of my icewm preferences file:

"# Show mailbox status on task bar
# TaskBarShowMailboxStatus=0 # 0/1

# Beep when new mail arrives
# TaskBarMailboxStatusBeepOnNewMail=0 # 0/1

# Count messages in mailbox
# TaskBarMailboxStatusCountMessages=0 # 0/1

# Show workspace switching buttons on task bar
# TaskBarShowWorkspaces=1 # 0/1

# Show windows on the taskbar
# TaskBarShowWindows=1 # 0/1"

I still have the mail icon and the"0" Virtual Desktop icon. Any thoughts?
OU812
Commenting it out won't work because that's the default setting. You need to edit it as follows:

TaskBarShowWorkspaces=0 # 0/1
john
JawsThemeSwimming428
OK...that worked. The mailbox icon is still there and it is all set to 0. How do I get rid of that?

I figured out the mailbox thing, the only thing I have to get rid of yet is the show desktop button.
mariel77
How did you get rid of the mail icon? When I installed an hp printer, it put a little hp icon down in the lower right corner. I don't think I really need it there either.
JawsThemeSwimming428
mariel77 wrote:How did you get rid of the mail icon? When I installed an hp printer, it put a little hp icon down in the lower right corner. I don't think I really need it there either.
Not sure about your HP printer but to remove the mail icon I removed the"#" symbol from the second line of this in the icewm preferences file:

# Show mailbox status on task bar
TaskBarShowMailboxStatus=0 # 0/1

Don't know if that is supposed to work or why it did, but I don't see the mail icon down there now. Still can't figure out how to get rid of the ShowDesktop button. Good luck!

EDIT: If anyone can help me out with the Show Desktop button and also I would like the Quit icon on the taskbar to be moved to the right side where the taskbar hiding button would normally be as I do not use it. Thanks.
OU812
Around line 235. Edit as follows:

#  Show 'show desktop' button on taskbar
TaskBarShowShowDesktopButton=0 # 0/1
In general, when you see a line like this

# TaskBarShowShowDesktopButton=1 # 0/1
in your preferences file, uncommenting will have no effect since"1" or"true" is the default value. So to change it, you need to uncomment and change it to"0." To return it it's default value, I would recommend changing the value back to"1."

As for moving"quick launch" icons to the right edge of the taskbar, I'm not sure. I want to say that I've seen screenshots of this, but I don't remember. I don't remember seeing a setting in the preferences file. We'll just have to research it a bit.

As for the HP icon, it sounds like something was added to your startup file. (If it's in the lower right corner, then it's in the icewm tray. Programs that have icons that reside there are either launched by you, or are launched at startup.) I would look for a line in ~/.icewm/startup for the offensive line of code (statement).

john