impuwat
Still playing and getting use to it. Installed a fairly spartan setup...to build off of. First impressions so far....glitzy, light-weight, FAST.
eriefisher
Where did you pull E17 from, experimental repos?

Looks good by the way.
rokytnji

I also installed Enlightenment. Difference is I did it in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Panasonic Laptop.

I used this How To from Cafe Linux

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://cafelinux.org/OzOs/content/how-i"
linktext was:"http://cafelinux.org/OzOs/content/how-i"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false ... xisting-os

I'm running it with the Black Emerald them, but after I get a Little more proficient using it I would like to install the green_bling_.011.edj. The download is here if anybody more proficient than me wishes to install it.

url was:"http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php/topic,1644.0.html"
linktext was:"http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php/topic,1644.0.html"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
impuwat
Erie: Yes...experimental debian repos. I set up this computer for experimenting with e17. Tried several ways of installing e17 on antiX-base using scripts but all failed (in different configs...sidux kernel, mepis kernel, etc.). From what I could tell the scripts were overlooking dependencies. They would say they installed correctly but e17 would not load.

Next I tried smxi using antix-sid options leaving the kernel alone and adding the experimental repo for e17. Everything loaded and ran without a hitch. Using slim with fluxbox still on box but defaulting to e17. Still getting used to e17 so have not tried extensive package installations. Should be interesting and fun.

rokytnji: The cafelinux script and repos was one method I tried and everything looked good but couldn't get e17 to load. It might be I was just overlooking something but struggled with it for quite awhile before trying a different approach.
rokytnji
rokytnji: The cafelinux script and repos was one method I tried and everything looked good but couldn't get e17 to load.
Yes, during install I got errors about OZOS Base not installing. I had to use

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install oz-desktop-base 
at the end to get a good install. Just noticed My link gave page not found So I'll try posting it again

url was:"http://cafelinux.org/OzOs/content/how-install-ozos-desktop-existing-os"
linktext was:"http://cafelinux.org/OzOs/content/how-i ... xisting-os"

Takes about 1.5 hours to download and install. I am still learning how to operate enlightenment along with everything else I have put on my plate. Being a Big guy, I always have the tendency of overstacking my plate. Also when I did the install I went with all recommended packages that go with the Desktop which is

sudo aptitude install oz-desktop 
instead of going with

sudo aptitude --without-recommends install oz-desktop 
I don't know if Mepis yet will have problems with these scripts since if you noticed Aptitude is used instead of Apt. Maybe this is why you had trouble. Only a guess though on my part, because I use apt in Ubuntu also. So I don't really know. The script is supposed to be good for Debian also. Shouldn't Matter. I will ask on cafe linuxes forum if AntiX 8 which is based on Lenny should be able to run their install scripts. I posted just to give out some info in case somebody else wanted to run with it. I am a slow runner, so I'll get around to it eventually. Thanks for letting me and everybody know you had trouble with their install how to. I wouldn't want to give bad advice.

Edit: I don't know if maybe this had anything to do with your problem either
If you get an error like"package not found" at this point, check your sources.list file (in the /etc directory). On some distros, the first command above to add the cafelinux"tinwoodman main" repositories to your sources list will add it to the end of an existing line (rather than on a line by itself as it should be). If this happens, just open your sources.list with a text editor (with sudo or as root) and insert a line break before the word"deb" of the cafelinux repository.
impuwat
rokytnji: Thanks for all the good information. I think one of my attempts was with aptitude but I can't say for sure. I used aptitude with my successful install from the debian experimental repos. I liked the cafelinux script and ease of use. It stated it had installed successfully but as I say I couldn't get it to run. I may try it again since this is a"play" computer and I don't mind over-writing (and over-writing, and over-writing __{{emoticon}}__ .

My initial attempt was complicated by the fact I went with a sidux kernel forgetting the hard drive was ide. Which meant I had to backtrack and UUID all references to hda, etc. as referenced in this forum. Finally got it up and running and then tried the script.

One thing I did wonder about was it installed e17 to /opt. Installing it from debian doesn't. I tried various arguments to call it up in my ~/.xinitrc file (and slim.conf) but nothing worked. So I wasn't sure if my problem was trying to start it incorrectly or a broken package that would not install. I checked a few of the logs and didn't notice anything to wacky.
Another script I did try to use did show failed dependencies.

I also noticed it took a long time to install...most of that was the script building the different modules. You have me curious now. May have to have another go at it. I like beating my head against walls....sometimes my head wins...sometimes the wall.
eriefisher
Using /opt for installing is a way of avoiding/overwriting existing directories/files in /bin /usr/bin etc.....
To call it with .xinitrc provide the entire path ie:exec /opt/starte17(or what ever the command is).
rokytnji
Impuwat, I run Lenny instead of Sidux in my AntiX Install. Sidux may be to new of a kernel for the OZOS script to work maybe. Just a thought. That may be why you needed the smxi scripts for a successful install. All this is guessing though.

Also I have to log out and change sessions to bring up enlightenment. There will be no entry in any Desktop entry EG: Gnome, KDE, XFCE, Fluxbox, LXDE or Icewm. Only Desktop I don't run is KDE on a regular basis, though my NimbleX 2008 runs KDE 3.5. My NimbleX install runs as a Live CD install inside my Windows 2000 Pro Laptop that I use to tune Bikes. I use NimbleX when I need to connect to internet with it instead of Windows. Windows is only for Bike Tuning Software for me.
rokytnji
After a few beers and sitting outside with my Laptop cruzin the net I found this Impuwat

url was:"http://cafelinux.org/OzOs/content/optimum-ozos-experience-debian-gnulinux"
linktext was:"http://cafelinux.org/OzOs/content/optim ... n-gnulinux"
impuwat
Erie: Thanks for the tip but I did try that....using the opt path ending with the enlightenment_start command. Nada.
I just discovered this post from last May where sombreros had the same problem (enlightenment-t990.html). Maybe if it isn't a dependency problem it's a broken path somewhere.

I kept thinking I just had a bad path or incorrectly trying to call enlightenment up but later when it installed successfully I discovered I was doing everything correctly (.xinitrc & slim.conf). Which made me think it was unmet dependencies or as
rockytnji hints at...incompatible kernel.

Thanks rockytnji....I'm checking that out right now.

The important thing is I'm having fun and walking away for a fresh breath when things get a tad frustrating. And my learning curve has a steep pitch to it right now __{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
Some other info relating to Sid

url was:"http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php/topic,2502.msg8856.html#msg8856"
linktext was:"http://cafelinux.org/forum/index.php/to ... ml#msg8856"
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
impuwat
Thanks a bunch rockytnji. Some good info and I found some nice themes in the tinwoodman repo. Bookmarked your sites for future reference. I'm having fun setting this up. Everything seems really stable so I'm going to just play with this for awhile instead of a re-install. Adding file browsers, etc. and getting used to the WM itself. So far so good.
impuwat
My current e17 desktop with a few comments regarding the experience to this point. So far I've installed a number of apps to resemble a typical antiX install. Pcmanfm for file manager, pidgin, abiword, geany, alsamixergui, synaptic, xmahjongg, madbomber, firefox (so I can play with songbird),songbird, etc.

The programs have been added to the menu by e17 correctly with the exception of xmahjongg. Menu alteration not near as easy as IceWM so I just created an icon shortcut in idock for xmahjongg.

Everything has been running very smooth. The only bugginess has been idock. For some reason if I try to rearrange the order of the icons in idock it's hit and miss. And if I play with it for long I get a seg fault. All other idock functions work correctly. I found the best way is to clear all the icons and then add them in the correct order. There is no flakiness when done this way.

I like the amount of customization possible in the desktop and icons. I like the speed, large taskbar & icons. Good themes & custom wallpaper are in short supply. I don't like the complicated process re: menu customization. USB drive recognition through pcmanfm has been perfect unlike my icewm desktop in my other computer. Both Shuttle computers are roughly equal...same memory, almost same processor, etc. so it is fun to compare this one with e17.

Also noticed my sound was configured correctly with the onboard intel on the shuttle mobo. I had trouble with this last time with M7.5 and just put an old soundlblaster card in it to solve the problem.
eriefisher
Any application that is not added to the menu automatically but should be is usually because there is no .desktop file in /usr/share/applications. You can create them if you wish. Just use an existing .desktop file as a template changing the needed info. You may need to restart x for it too appear in the menu but it will work.
impuwat
That's a great tip and helps explain how the process works! Thank you.

I have xmahjongg now recognized in the menu using a pokerth file to overwrite. Where does the .desktop file pull the icons from? I notice in the text it's usually"icon=pokerth" for example. Can I put a path in after"icon="?