topic title: dwm in antix
plvera
Hello:
I tried awesome and xmonad and both seemed difficult to configure (learning a new language, etc), although both worked reasonably well. I also tried dwm since it"seemed" easier and lighter (not much gets pulled in during the install). Here's a screenshot, so it does work. However, I'm having a VERY difficult time configuring it.

First of all, I can't even find the config file that the website says should be around (somewhere). I need to configure some apps I run (Jabref; maybe GIMP) to"float" since some Java apps will only display as grey boxes unless they float (or so I've read).

I tried reading through the mailing list but it seems pretty caustic (learn C; learn this; stupid newbies should not be trying this; go bak to KDE, etc, etc).

Does anyone have any experience with dwm and some pointers that might help, like how to find the config file?

thanks.
Pedro

P.S. Occasionally one needs to be reminded how polite the AntiX community is __{{emoticon}}__
plvera
Hello:
As an update of how things are going with dwm and antix, I found an app called"xbindkeys" that makes it VERY easy to set the key bindings. dwm is supposed to be able to do it in the config file (which you then have to recompile). However, I could not get it to work for me.

xbindkeys is a lot simpler, more intuitive AND it will carry across all wms. So, it's a pretty good solution for me.

Next is to try and tackle the status bar. It's supposed to display items from xsetroot but I don't have much idea how that works. There's only a conky-cli that suppposedly can be made to work. Apparently this conky-cli app comes from Arch Linux, not really sure how it would work in antix.

Other than minor cosmetic things, dwm is working very reliably and very fast.

Pedro
macondo
plvera wrote:Hello:
I tried awesome and xmonad and both seemed difficult to configure (learning a new language, etc), although both worked reasonably well. I also tried dwm since it"seemed" easier and lighter (not much gets pulled in during the install). Here's a screenshot, so it does work. However, I'm having a VERY difficult time configuring it.
They both are simple to configure, all you had to do is FOLLOW instructions, you don't have to"learn" a new language. In the awesome thread i gave you, i even put the lines numbers you have to edit and the examples, what can be easier?

DWM is more difficult to configure because you have to COMPILE it from source in order to get the config.h files you have to use from the examples you can get from google. Otherwise, if you install it from the Debian repos you CANNOT configure it because it won't come with the above mentioned config files. Clear as mud?
I tried reading through the mailing list but it seems pretty caustic (learn C; learn this; stupid newbies should not be trying this; go bak to KDE, etc, etc).
P.S. Occasionally one needs to be reminded how polite the AntiX community is __{{emoticon}}__
Welcome to Linux! __{{emoticon}}__
1.You don't have to learn C, just follow the examples in google.com/linux (i.e. dwm + configuration).

2.They, at the forums and mailing lists, don't want to waste time with somebody like you; you don't know the basics, and they figure you have to pay your dues and do some serious reading before start using dwm, they will not"hold your hand", thus, the quip about 'newbies should not be trying dwm'. And they're right.

You have to know quite a bit more in order for them to accept you and 'come down to your level', you might not agree with them but that's the way it is.

At first it's logical that you will resent this, but if you continue with Linux, eventually and without realizing it, you will start looking down on these dummies who don't want to read, google, and pay the price, and complaint that they can't find icons in the desktop, slim/gdm/kdm is giving them trouble, and have a mentality based on 'instant gratification', otherwise, if they don't get what they're used to,"Linux sucks". And you will be surprised when they (the newbs) will tell you're an asshole, and believe you me, they will __{{emoticon}}__

3.You have to understand that you have it easy with antiX, anticapitalista and the others, have gone to great lengths to make it easy for 'Windows refugees' to be able to use Linux, they are great guys and i doubt most users appreciate the amount of work they have done for Linux to be accepted. This has saved the newbies a least six months with all the defaults that antiX come with.

This is not a rant directed at you, Pedro. Today i had time, and decided to explain how things are in Linux and how grateful you ALL should be to anticapitalista and his gang.

As for dwm, i installed it from the repos with apt-get, fixed the date and just use it as it is. Read the man...

Here's a
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3598/3523971194_d204c01ecf_o.png"
linktext was:"screenshot"
====================================
eriefisher
I would tend to agree with you macondo but man that was a little harsh but your right.

Myself, I been at linux for about six years or so, never was a windows person. I asked a lot of question, read a lot docs, links and what ever else I could get my hands on. Most people I came into contact in the forums were great, I was lucky. Now I try to help out where I can but I hate when someone has made no effort themselves, not so much as read the docs that came with the iso. This usually comes with the"LINUX SUCKS" comment. These people, I have no time for.
plvera
Macondo:
thanks for your comments. I agree that anti and everyone else has been working very hard, and I am very grateful for their efforts and their help. They have made a transition, not from windows, but from Ubuntu/Mint very easy.

I also agree that the best approach is to read man pages, and google for info, and try things out. Occasionally, things will not work and so I'll ask a question. Any help will be always be appreciated.

regards,
Pedro
harii
looks cool!
what is the gtk2 theme?
I think you did a great job for not finding alot of info.

Do not let some answers get you down -- everyone starts at the bottom __{{emoticon}}__
get help -- give help
secipolla
Hi, macondo. I'm certain 'Linux' was never what you said, otherwise it wouldn't have come all this way. And such poverty of character will languish till becomes really marginal. Linux is completely different.
plvera
Harii:

Thanks! I'm very happy with how dwm is working for me, especially after finding xbindkeys.

The gtk2 theme is Industrial, which I set up using fluxbox. I haven't changed in dwm so I'm assuming is the same?

By the way, although I haven't posted in the dwm mailing list and so have no first-hand knowledge of this, from browsing through the topics and the responses, it seems that most people are willing to help.

Regards,
Pedro